Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How should I connect a TV to RGB 9-pin output?

Status
Not open for further replies.

geeeeoffff

My grandpa has macular degeneration and needs a viewer to read his newspaper. It's basically a Camera and a light that magnifies things so it's much easier to read. He has been renting one lately but I plan to surprise him with a replacement so he doesn't have to spend money every month on what I consider to be a pretty basic machine.

Anyway, the machine I bought only has what I believe is a RGB 9-pin video out port. It looks like a VGA port but has 9 holes instead of 15.

I've tried a 9 pin to 15 pin adapter but it looks like this isn't going to work, but I think I can connect this to a small LCD tv. I'm not sure what the best way to do this would be. 9-pin to RCA? to S-Video? is there a better way? What would be the ideal connection here?

Thanks!

If it's a computer RGB output then you need to feed to an RGB input, not RCA or S-Video. Does the TV have a VGA input?

I plan to buy a tv for him. I haven't seen any tvs with the rgb 9 pin vga style input. Does this exist on older tvs? Is this the same signal as composite connections? Those are colored rgb.

sorry I'm not that knowledgeable about video input ports

The connector you're describing is called DB-9, usually used for serial communications. According to this, it can be used for VGA. They also have pinouts, so if it is indeed VGA, you can make your own DB-9 to DB-15 cable.

RBG component video has separate signals for the Red, Blue, and Green components. A composite signal (as you might expect from the name) has all three color signals combined into one. S-video has one black-and-white signal and one (combined) color info signal which are mixed together in the receiver to obtain the complete color picture. Just for confusion there's also a consumer Component Video Signal which has one brightness (Y) signal, and two color difference signals (Pb,Pr) which was commonly used for analog HD signals until the digital HDMI connection became the standard. See this for more info.

Geoff,

From your description, my guess is that what you have is a camera which scans the picture and presents the information to a viewing device. You dont say if the camera is a colour camera or not. For your particular application with macular degeneration, colour may not be important. Whether the apparatus you have is colour or black and white may be important.
The normal video colour video signal for broadcast, is a composite signal and this contains the black and white components and the colour components and the means of separating them at the receiver. Because your apparatus is not for broadcast, it is likely that your video signal is simply a video signal. S-video, composite video etc are not likely to be relevant for you.
The VGA signal is a 3 colour signal which also has synchronising information. There is a 9 pin and a 15 pin connector specified for this standard. You say you have tried a 9 pin to 15 pin adapter but this doesnt seem to work.
If you google 9 pin VGA, you will find the pin assignments. But if your gear has only black and white, then there may be some variation to this assignment.
Hope this helps a bit but if not come back with information about the makers name and type numbers.

I bought this db9 to VGA adapter before I made my first post here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I97FGA/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It did not work. I got a blank screen on my VGA monitor.

rumpfy:
I really doubt it's a color camera based on the version my grandpa has now. But I can't tell for sure until I have a monitor to plug it into.

The device I have is an Optelec Clearview 500:
**broken link removed**

Based on what northguy and rumpfy said it sounds like it should be possible to get this to output to VGA, I just need the right adapter/cable. I have little experience soldering cables together like this, but if there is a guide you can point me to I think I can do it. I'm a little worried about the varying configurations that there might be based on rumpfy's comment.

Like I said earlier... There is a 9 pin Dsub video standard

Composite video..
1 = Gnd. 2 = Gnd, 3 = Red, 4 = Green, 5 = Blue, 6 = N/C, 7 = Composite sync, 8 = N/C, 9 = N/C.
RGB
1 = Gnd. 2 = Gnd, 3 = Red, 4 = Green, 5 = Blue, 6 =Intensity, 7 = N/C, 8 = H/Sync, 9 = V/Sync.
VGA
1 = Red. 2 = Green, 3 = Blue, 4 = H/Sync, 5 = V/Sync. 6 =RGnd, 7 = GGnd, 8 = BGnd, 9 = SyncGnd.

These are the three I know

Geoff,
I googled OPTELEC and found some stuff.
This webite has a manual for the clearview plus.
**broken link removed**
It seems they have a range of combinations and permutations, and I also noted the ebay seller was VERY specific about what his offer did NOT contain.
The clearview plus manual goes on and on about various options, and I am of the view that you need to find out EXACTLY what it was that you purchased.
The manual was very good in helping me to understand the Optelec range, and you should read it too and you might have to either open it up to see what is in it, or see what serial no., or model code numbers are printed on it, and get the manufacturer to help you.
There is a non-profit "Vision Australia" organisation here in OZ, and they refer to optelec and suppliers of this equipment. There may be a similar organisation in your country.
Have a look at this too:
**broken link removed**

Tv's usually have a composite video input, or composite sync and rgb, and the system varies depending what country you are in.
You need to find out what the camera outputs.
You might find that you'll have to also get a vga monitor.
I think you can connect vga to a ntsc tv, however it only works in b&w, and then you need to run special sofware on the pc to get the right scan rates, seeing as this isnt a pc you might find it worntwork at all on a standard tv.
I remember cga and the beeb with the 9 pin dsub, in fact I remember hercules graphics, originally using a 1/4 jack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back