Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how powerful a preamp do i need for this

Status
Not open for further replies.

batman

i want to have a 555 time activated by speech, but it has to be able to pick up a normal, soft voice from about 15 feet away. what kind of amp do i need to build? preferably one with a variable gain, so the trigger threshold can go from a pin drop to a bull horn!

also, how can i modify the same circuit to have a variable frequency trigger threshold, so i can go from really deep to a really high pitched sound?

THANKS!

Hi Batman,
For your microphone to be able to pick up a normal, soft voice from about 15 feet away, it must compete with phones ringing, dogs barking, TV, etc. from the next room. If you really want such a high sensitivity then the mic preamp (electret mic) must have a voltage gain (not power) of a few hundred. A low-noise opamp or two will do it and the feedback resistor can be variable to reduce the sensitivity (bull-horn?).

For a variable frequency pickup, it needs a complicated variable bandpass-filter circuit.

Google "VOX circuit" for schematics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back