Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how much does lm317 need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalaman

Hi all,
I would like to supply regulated 14.5V 1A with LM317. Is 16.2V unregulated voltage enoug for it.

The spec's for the LM317 are with at least 3V between its input and its output.
There is a graph of its typical dropout voltage (when it has stopped regulating) that shows a dropout voltage of about 2V at room temperature at 1A but it could be as high as 3V.

@audioguru
Thank you so much this information. I have just read the datasheet. I understand something better. For 1A , 25C temperature , 16.2V unregulated voltage and 14.5V output my source is useless. Is it true ?

kalaman said:
For 1A , 25C temperature , 16.2V unregulated voltage and 14.5V output my source is useless. Is it true ?
Only if your LM317 is typical or is worse. Do you like to gamble?

They are all different. Some are excellent and some are not so good. You don't know if yours is excellent or not. A poor but passing one needs to have its input voltage at least 2V or 3V more than its output.

Maybe a large company ordered all the most sensitive ones before you got yours. Then yours isn't very sensitive.
Maybe the latest production before you bought yours made all poor but passing ones. Then yours is poor.

Also, is 16.2V the peak voltage on the capacitor?

When you draw a load there will be ripple which will make the situation even worse.

Audioguru,
What you're saying (about 3V) sounds reasonable but where on the datasheet does it say that? I agree that it mentions the typical values but it doesn't mention the worst case values.

Yes. 16.2V is the peak voltage on the capacitor. :) It was poor according to these.

thank you audioguru and hero999

Best regards.

Hero999 said:
Also, is 16.2V the peak voltage on the capacitor?

When you draw a load there will be ripple which will make the situation even worse.

Audioguru,
What you're saying (about 3V) sounds reasonable but where on the datasheet does it say that? I agree that it mentions the typical values but it doesn't mention the worst case values.
On the National datasheet, all the relevant specs state that the conditions are
3V ≤ (VIN − VOUT) ≤ 40V

Kalaman - you need to describe the source voltage in a little more detail. You said it's 16.2 volts unregulated. You need to consider the lowest voltage at any instant - which must include the effects of load, unregulation (so to speak) and ripple.

As an example - if you determine that at 1 amp your source can drop to 15 volts peak then it gives you a place to start. If the source is rectified AC you'll need to subtract the peak-to-peak ripple (unless you've measured the 15 volts as average or RMS). If for example the ripple is 1 volt p-to-p then the "bottom" will be at 14 volts.

Another thing to consider, if your source is rectified AC - will the primary input to the source be relatively constant - or could the primary vary a little. You might want to account for that as well.

Roff said:
On the National datasheet, all the relevant specs state that the conditions are
I noticed that but it doesn't say that it needs to be >3 in order to work.

Perhaps your right, it does need to be 3V but I've never had a problem with 2.5V which what I normally use for a current of 1.5A.

It might barely work with an input voltage only 2.5V higher than its output voltage but many won't peform as well as specified.
Its spec's are guaranteed if the input is 3V or more higher than its output.
When it has dropped out then its output voltage has already dropped because it isn't regulating anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back