Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How much current draws by a software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ransiluj

hey all!!
can anyone tell about how much current does software take?(any software ex: game, paint,photoshop) if it is, can you please put the software name, how much current it takes and the detail about your pc that use to run that software.
Thank you! :)

Last edited:
well i like to know about the current draw from you pc

My PC? Why..... I don't know.... I really don't care how much current it takes...All I know is, Crysis2 takes alot more than MSPaint....

well yeahh we are doing a research about software power consumption. That is why i ask about it. If there is someone who knows about power consume by any software or current drawn by software when it is running we are very grateful to hear about those details.

My HP ML110 G7 server with a E3-1220 quad core CPU draws 20-29 watts on idle.

Under heavy processing this goes up to between 150 watts and 180 watts.

My old server (Quad code athlon) draws 120-130 watts on idle and will go up to 280-300 watts when encoding video.

The kiddies machine draws around 250 watts at idle and goes up to 300 watts when he's playing games.

well yeahh we are doing a research about software power consumption. That is why i ask about it. If there is someone who knows about power consume by any software or current drawn by software when it is running we are very grateful to hear about those details.

I appreciate your research, and I'm not being negative... The fact of the matter is.

A) There are so many GPU cards out there each takes a different amount of current
B) There are as many sound cards..
C) everyone has different CPU's, rams, HDD's etc...

To do this research you will need to pic a basic setup... Boot into windows, then measure the current draw ( clamp on ammeter on the IED lead )
Then run MSPaint and measure.... Then run some 3d software and re-measure.

I have no idea how much current MY PC takes. As I said I'm not overly bothered. If you need to do this research... There's no point doing it on someone else's machine...

I have no idea how much current MY PC takes. As I said I'm not overly bothered. If you need to do this research... There's no point doing it on someone else's machine...

Neither was I until I did the calculations. For every wasted watt in the UK, it costs around £1 per year.

By switching to smaller more power efficient servers, the money it saves me in electricity per server per year pays for the server itself in 18 months.

Also by purchasing a £5 remote controlled socket from Morrisons, isolating my TV/Wii/DVD/Satellite/Bluray etc in one go saves £80 a year in standby energy wastage.

I appreciate your research, and I'm not being negative... The fact of the matter is.

A) There are so many GPU cards out there each takes a different amount of current
B) There are as many sound cards..
C) everyone has different CPU's, rams, HDD's etc...

To do this research you will need to pic a basic setup... Boot into windows, then measure the current draw ( clamp on ammeter on the IED lead )
Then run MSPaint and measure.... Then run some 3d software and re-measure.

because i have only one pc.. so i like to see how it's going with the other PCs like different processors

Oh I see... Still!! You are asking others to help you in your research.... You really should have made this clear from the off...

This would take quite a while ( assuming others are capable of doing this )... Most here have busy lives... Example!! Myself. I work @9-10 hours AND help moderate this site.

I can't talk for others, but the time I would need to do this, I haven't got..

to start with, you need to establish some kind of baseline. so you will need a machine with a certain configuration and you will need to modify a power cable so you can put a clamp-on ammeter around the hot (brown or black) wire. this will be your "control" sample. then you will need to make a list of particular software that will be run on all the machines in the experiment. you then run the software and record the current readings on the "control" machine. then you test other machines in the same way. you then gather all the data and get the information you want from it. i don't know why this needs to be explained in such detail..... they still teach "scientific method" in school these days, don't they?

they still teach "scientific method" in school these days, don't they?

i argued this point at a parents evening a couple of months ago, our son goes to one the top (according to the nonsense ofstead post) state technology schools, and i am horrified to say that as a scientist myself the method's taught in today's schools is way way off from how i was taught!

hey all!!
can anyone tell about how much current does software take?(any software ex: game, paint,photoshop) if it is, can you please put the software name, how much current it takes and the detail about your pc that use to run that software.
Thank you! :)

A bit of a stupid question along side how much does my brain hurt when reading Harry Potter as opposed to Dr Who.

I am sure there is a reasonable question underneath your posting, just be a bit more specific.

An add instruction on an 8051 can draw microamps. On a Pentium class 4 processor can be amps.

it also depends on how detailed the answer must be, and what operating system is in use. even with the same operating system you must keep track of what individual processes are running, as the running processes can vary from machine to machine. for instance, running linux, you could have a user interface like KDE that uses a lot of resources and runs a lot of background processes, or a user interface like xfce that uses very few resources and runs fewer background processes.... or be running linux with a command line interface with very few processes running. all three will run on the same version of the same linux distribution. this would require a very detailed analysis, taking into account every running process. such an analysis would be easier with linux than with windows, since linux has many choices of window managers and user interfaces, but you are stuck with one in windows (actually i guess you could get away with calling safe mode with text only or vga only gui modes "alternative user interfaces"). with linux, there are some processes that run in the background you can safely turn off, as there are a few in windows, but windows has more "must have" processes that cannot be turned off without causing a crash. of course you need to know which processes are absolutely critical and which ones are not.

My Laptop uses
Idle, screen backlight off: 18W
Idle, screen low brightness: 20W
Idle, screen high brightness: 24W
100% CPU, screen high brightness: 58W

Will likely use more if GPU is doing something.

As far as software affects the power consumption, I guess it relates to the average proportion of CPU capability it uses, something like 24W + 340mW/CPU% in my case.

Let's make a U-turn here.

Power is related to temperature rise and in fact some IC's used to make use of it.

What I would suggest is to get a program such as this one: https://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

and record the various rises in temperature while using the software. Use only one program and sum the % use of all of the cores. You may have to do this over time.

Temperature rise would be your best indicator. Better would be a periodic sampling, like every 30 seconds or so an somehow incorporate the % utilization and temperature rise and the ambient temperature inside of the case.

The temperature sensors are internal to the chip. Not all software is designed to use all of the cores.

You won't be able to get an exact number. With a desktop, you could try devices such as the "Kill-a-Watt" and correlate results with that. It will be difficult at best.

This question was already asked and answered on AllAboutCircuits. The OP just can't seem to get it through his/her head that it varies widely, and is extremely difficult to measure, if not impossible for most people. You can't accurately determine how much current a piece of software draws--that's related to HARDWARE, not SOFTWARE. For some reason the OP just can't accept that as a fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back