Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How many transistors in a 4GB USB stick or SD card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewUser

I'm guessing around 32 billion, assuming 8 transistors for each byte of memory.

Sounds too mind-blowing for me which is why I'm asking!

Give or take a few millon.

Who cares, it is a memory stick, you cant get inside to do anything with it.

JimB

One transistor per bit is optimistic. My guess would be 4 to 6 CMOS FETs per bit.

Flash memory stores information in an array of memory cells made from floating-gate transistors. In traditional single-level cell (SLC) devices, each cell stores only one bit of information. Some newer flash memory, known as multi-level cell (MLC) devices, can store more than one bit per cell by choosing between multiple levels of electrical charge to apply to the floating gates of its cells.
NewUser, you are right if the usb stick uses SCL.. but if the usb stick uses MLC, the the number of transistor is less :D

I would just spend the 20 or 3o bucks to buy one, I think it would be over priced to make one of your own, not to mention the probability failure rate and over sized of it. I just don't see a human doing the micro wiring that's inside of one.

Last edited:
I don't think wacking a mosfet or two on a breadboard makes a non-volatile memory bit. USB's use multi-layered fets that hold each other in a state through reactions accross thier metal oxide insulating layers. Seriously, a volatile memory bit can be made using four bjt transistors. 4x1G?

I don't think wacking a mosfet or two on a breadboard makes a non-volatile memory bit. USB's use multi-layered fets that hold each other in a state through reactions accross thier metal oxide insulating layers. Seriously, a volatile memory bit can be made using four bjt transistors. 4x1G?

S/he has a point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back