Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how many time can a battery be recharge

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrel

Hello
I heard that a Nickel Metal Hydride battery 1.2 volts can be recharge over a 1000 times.
So how many time can a Sealed lead acid battery (6 VOLTS 1.3 AH ) be recharge?
Is a gel cell battery same as a lead acid battery?
Thank for the infor mrel

How many times to recharge?
That depends on how deep the discharge. With Nickel Metal Hydride the 1000 times only happens when you discharge to 1.0 volts and slow charge in 16 hours at room temperature. If you discharge to 0 volts, or charge too fast, or the temperature is bad you will get very little recharges.

With car batteries, I often get more than 10 years of use. With a new battery, leave the lights on and run it all the way down and the battery is never the same. Two complete discharges and you are walking. There is a ‘deep discharge’ battery used in RVs that is not the same as a car battery.

I recharge ‘high end alkaline’ batteries. Taking 20% out of a ‘copper top’ battery and recharging slowly I get 50 recharges. By then the battery only holds 50% of it’s new storage. Take 50% out of the battery and I only get 10 recharges. Take 100% and there is no recharging.

The NiMH batteries I have in my solar lights are about 3 years old (some more, some less), but all are still working. They fully discharge each night, least until they can't light an LED. The sun in Florida can get pretty intense, and these lights only have a single diode for a charge circuit. 1000 cycles? Most likely these have already past that. 16 hours to recharge, more like 5-6 hours of direct sun.

SLA batteries are deep-cycle lead acid batteries. I've got 2 x 12v 10AH batteries hooked up to a 14 watt solar panel. Been working fine for over a year now. Use a charge controller, doesn't fully discharge in one night. SLA batteries need to be kept charged and used. They die quickly on a shelf, unused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back