Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How many of you who are good in Electronics also have Mechnical knowledge aswell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should start a Zen school =)

Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance. :)

As a kid (early teens) I had a big interest in auto mechanics. I enjoyed building and rebuilding engines and my era was the 60's and years of the US Muscle cars. I worked the local service stations when service stations actually did stuff, like before they outsourced pumping gas to the customer. Over the years I drifted away from mechanics. Today I look under the hood of my truck and wonder what the hell is that?

I am fascinated by today's automotive computers though haven't really had the time to study them. The array of sensors under the hood is cool to me.

Overall I like machinist work also. I do gunsmithing on high power rifles used in competitions. So I am comfortable around the lathe and milling machines. When I retire I figure I'll have time for the things I like. The things I would like to learn more about anyway. Till then, the Tron God has been good to me. :)

Ron

Hi Boneheadcuck,

Well, you're just wrong about that. You can go on believing your own myths if you like, the rest of us live in the real world.

Hi both of you Ubergeek and brownout (blackout),

thinking about a spring you must know that its tension won't be the same over a long period.

Is that mystic? :confused:

Telling someone "You're wrong about..." is a final statement allowing no objections and I guess it proves impoliteness. Saying "I think you are wrong about ..." would be my choice to express my objections to any problem discussed here. :mad:

So go ahead an fix your sensor to the spring and end this fruitless discussion at this point!

Your descision was made before posting the problem! So forget about the rest of it! :mad:

Boncuk (not Boneheadcuck)!

Springs typically have a long life before the material begins to fail to fatigue. Nothing mystic about it, just having knowledge about such things, and knowing what will work, might work, and won't work. Actually, it seems that the accelerometer is in place and working fine. But it takes reading skills to understand that.

springs typically have a long life before the material begins to fail to fatigue. Nothing mystic about it, just having knowledge about such things, and knowing what will work, might work, and won't work. Actually, it seems that the accelerometer is in place and working fine. But it takes reading skills to understand that.

yes junior!

Pommie there is nothing wrong with using a simulator for mechanical systems. No one in their right mind builds an entire system directly from a simulation though. In the real world all buildings and bridges etc.. are simulated first then scale models are built and tested for any dynamics that might be missed. Without modern simulation modern skyscrapers and mega structures simply would be impossible to construct on paper. So you best be thankful for mechanical simulation not wary of it.

Springs typically have a long life before the material begins to fail to fatigue. Nothing mystic about it, just having knowledge about such things, and knowing what will work, might work, and won't work. Actually, it seems that the accelerometer is in place and working fine. But it takes reading skills to understand that.

I have no clue how this thread evolved into springs and things but as to some springs I have to agree with BrownOut. I work with some pretty large springs including the testing of these springs. They are manufactured of a special grade of 316 stainless steel and once in place expected to run and retain their compression properties for 20 years and the newer ones 40 years. They work in an extreme temperature environment at about 600 degrees F.

Though I have never had the need to place an accelerometer on a spring I have placed plenty of strain gauges on some big springs.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back