Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How many of you PIC programmers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon Wilder

...are doing all of your PIC programming/assembling/burning on a Linux environment?

For those of you who are -

1) Which Linux distribution are you working under?

2) What sort of PIC development environment are you using?

3) What is your favorite text editor to use for coding PIC ASM or PIC C?

4) State your opinions as to which you prefer for a PIC programming OS, be it Windows with Microchip MPLAB IDE/MPASM or Linux/gputils.

The whole purpose of this thread is to gather opinions and experiences from other PIC programmers. So feel free to post up your thoughts, opinions and experiences as to which IDE/IDE OS is right for you!

I use Microchip MPLAB IDE and assembler under Windows XP / 7 with Pickit2 & 3 programmers.

I use it because the O/S and application software combination works and I don't have any issues with it so I can get on with the developing. The Microchip software is free and always updated to support their products as well as having a good support forum so I see no need to look elsewhere.

Programmer hardware wise, PICkit2 and 3 cover all the Microchip products I'm ever likely to need to use, they work reliably, consistently and are cheap. I have tried some of the 'free' programmer hardware designs and software, but they were too temperamental.

I use both... sort of. I run Fedora 13 with win7 in vmware. I've played around with a few things in linux but felt that I was more productive using native tools for inferior operating systems :D.

It hurts me to say that cause i've been using linux since '99 and unix since '91. I'm a AIX admin for my day job anyway, it's a very comfortable platform for me and of course linux is not for everyone. If you need your hand held using a computer and don't like to tinker under the hood, don't use it.

I didn't realize MPlab was in beta for linux, i'll be downloading it and checking it out.

MplabX is not that good it still needs a lot of work. I hate windows but for the pic it's still the best thing going.

Linux it usable but it's a pain using the pickit2. If you like arm It would be great.

Haven't tried Vm ware it kind of defeats the purpose. It would be nice to have a pic programming box using Linux.

Last edited:
MplabX is not that good it still needs a lot of work. I hate windows but for the pic it's still the best thing going.
Linux it usable but it's a pain using the pickit2. If you like arm It would be great.
Haven't tried Vm ware it kind of defeats the purpose. It would be nice to have a pic programming box using Linux.

I did give it a try under Linux. I run OpenSUSE 11.3 and I can get the program to function but I can't 'see' my programmer (Junebug) so it's a bummer right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back