Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How Many Amps/Volts Can This Handle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
3-5 A is what I have normally seen up to about 24 V. The specs say it was tested thru 500 VAC. A call/email to Jameco should get those kind of answers.

Building stuff for research, I used a lot of these CPC connectors including the series 3. **broken link removed**

You can mix/match for cable size, plating, # of contacts, seals etc. Reverse sex and same sex connectors. Wire size etc.
Unfortunately a manual crimp tool and a pin removal tool are required. You have to build your own and buy all of the parts.

That 500 volts was for 1 minute only. It was never designed for 110 VAC.
UL, CSA, VDE etc will accept it to 40 volts with out testing, and higher with testing.

Hmm well what do you suggest, as all I'm trying to do is have a simple method of charging two permanent positioned batteries from a 24v Tender Charger. I would like to disconnect/connect the charger to the batteries fairly easy, so creating something like what cell phones/camcorders/and other products have would be great.

The device would need to be mountable similar to the item above that just allows you to drill a hole and screw it in place kinda.

I believe the charger does not even push out more than 2.5A so something that can handle probably 3A max would due, I just like to overshoot things a lot sometimes haha!

Link to charger: https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tend...V172/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309801621&sr=8-1

Last edited:
I've used those same panel mount coaxial power connectors from Jameco for 2.5A 12VDC supplies with no problems.

Ken

Don't buy a cheap Chinese connector that has no spec's in English (maybe the spec's are in Chinese since the PDF asked me if I wanted to install fonts). Buy a good connector (USA or Europe made) instead.

It's funny as every panel mount connector I've ran into does not list the amount of power it can handle, it only displays the size of it, even though I see these things on almost 80% of the products (such as, music keyboard, modem, camcorder, camera, power drill, router, etc.) I own which have a battery inside or are powered by AC.

See the 2nd paragraph under "Many different sizes" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaxial_power_connector#Comprehensive_listing_of_DC_coaxial_connectors

It essentially says currents from unspecified, <1 A, typically 2 Amps and no more than 5 Amps. A laptop charger might be 90 W and 20 V which translates to about 4 amps. So now, I've backed up my answer.

Are there any other components I can use to accomplish this in that case? I thought this would be a simple find, but for my power requirements I see this will not work. Whatever it is, I would like it to be mountable and not just some female cord freely hanging out.

The CPC connectors I pointed out earlier are easy to disconnect. I've used the high power versions to 40 V 35 A or so.
The metal versions are used in Military hardware.

I thought about a connector by Cinch, but it's similar to a wall plug. Totally exposed blade connectors.

Food for thought: Is arcing a possibility? Do you have to plan for hot plugging?
Hot plugging in it's simplest terms would have 2 contacts for power that mate first. Two other contacts are configured as a low current switch and they mate later. The "switch" turns on a contactor that applies powr.

The CPC connectors I pointed out earlier are easy to disconnect. I've used the high power versions to 40 V 35 A or so.

I thought about a connector by Cinch, but it's similar to a wall plug. Totally exposed blade connectors.

Food for thought: Is arcing a possibility? Do you have to plan for hot plugging?
Hot plugging in it's simplest terms would have 2 contacts for power that mate first. Two other contacts are configured as a low current switch and they mate later. The "switch" turns on a contactor that applies powr.

Nope, no arcing will be caused, this charge controller prevents that. Basically I would like the negative and positive connection to be used with one connection. It appears from some Google pics the CPC connectors would require me to have 1 for the positive and 1 for the negative?

Is it possible to have something similar to the other connectors coaxial I think is the name, that has both integrated in 1 plug/port?

Last edited:
On the datasheet, second page, under Specifications, the max contact resistance is 30mΩ. Seven amps would cause almost 1.5 Watts of dissipation. This is way too high. I would think about 100mW would be the maximum you would want on a single pin connector.

Here is a 3-D model of the connector I was thinking of: http://www.tycoelectronics.com/comm...2&DocType=Customer+View+Model&DocLang=English

Again, pins are separate, strain reliefs are separate and they do suggest crimp. The current specs of the contacts aren't easily obtainable, but should be available on the manufactirer's site which is now TE connectivity and not Tyco electronics.

There is a battery charger connector that's used on electric vehicles such as Fork Lifts. I've only seen them free-hanging.

Last edited:
I don't quite get some of this. The cahrger you are considering getting is a 24 VDC charger capable of a maximum current of 2.5 amps which is low current. So all you should really need is a circular bulkhead connector with a mating plug capable of handling 24 VDC @ about 2.5 amps maximum. Now is that all you need/want?

Ron

I don't quite get some of this. The cahrger you are considering getting is a 24 VDC charger capable of a maximum current of 2.5 amps which is low current. So all you should really need is a circular bulkhead connector with a mating plug capable of handling 24 VDC @ about 2.5 amps maximum. Now is that all you need/want?

Ron

In a nut shell yep, pretty much. The main idea is that it's able to be panel mounted if possible. I'm not sure what a bulkhead connector is, but if it's the type of connector that has both positive/negative leads in one cable, then yes. I mostly do not want to end up with 2 separate cables that have to be plugged in to charge it. I want to use 1 cable that plugs into 1 port and charges the batteries.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back