Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how i begin with microcontroller??!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hossam mahanna

hi every body...

.Iam a microcontroller (self study) beginner ; and i want to tell me how can i begin learning with micro :

-what is the tools?
-famelliar software programs.
-good sites.

:) good luck everybody

Which microcontroller do you plan to use? What programming language do you know or want to learn?

Why? What do you want to build. If you just interested in simple gadgets and toys, Microchip's PIC series is likely a good first choice. (likely started something with that comment...) It's probably the most commonly used by hobbists, and the most documented with projects and examples on the web.

I start last December, and went with the AVR series by Atmel. I wanted a USB programmer, a rich instruction set in assembly, and a good variety of features. After a few initial set backs with cables, I was able to do several projects in little time. I'm working to get an LCD display working, so I can look at what I'm doing. Should probably use ISP/DEBUGWIRE for this, but not to sure about having the programmer hooked up to a live circuit. Hate to damage it, and maybe my computer in the experimenting.

First read the second thread in this forum for newcomers.
I would recommend Nigel’s WinPicProg .
As was recommended here on the micro controllers forum and the first tutorials, the PIC 16F628A for $3.50 with 16 I/O pins, 2 comparators, no crystal or caps or compiler or UV eraser needed is a perfect place to start. I was up and running with lights flashing in a couple of days for $23.50.

Last edited:
Why not try the Microchip PicKit2 programmer kit? It'll give you a decent start to PIC programming, and if you want to learn PicBasic, Proton Dev suite is available in a free trial edition see links below...

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Guys,

So which kit for MicroChip is needed for the beginner? Is it PICkit™ 2 Debug Express or PICkit™ 2 Starter Kit? Or is the first kit I mentioned just a newer version of the second?

Thanks...

For a beginner you shouldn't buy ANYTHING. Use the free software and simulators out there and make your first few programs in that, will save you tonnes of money. Familiarize yourself on the free software first then sit on it for a bit and look at the hardware options out there. Commit to anything or just go out and buy stuff randomly with no knowledge of pics to begin with is no way to buy anything.

Sceadwian said:
For a beginner you shouldn't buy ANYTHING. Use the free software and simulators out there and make your first few programs in that, will save you tonnes of money. Familiarize yourself on the free software first then sit on it for a bit and look at the hardware options out there. Commit to anything or just go out and buy stuff randomly with no knowledge of pics to begin with is no way to buy anything.

Though I am not the original one who posted the question(how i begin with microcontroller??!! ),may I then take this opportunity to ask if you could recommend such free software,simulator and hardware.I also don't want to be confused with so many available infos out there.Thanks a lot!

Sceadwian said:

I agree. Then when you do move into hardware start with a solderless breadboard (about $8 US).

You will also need a programmer. I would suggest you skip the programmer only solutions and get a programmer/debugger. The inchworm is a good place to start. You can buy the kit (~$35) with a nice PCB.

Here's a really cool free page where you can learn a ton about the machine that kicked off the modern microprocessor era

**broken link removed**

If you're completely new I'd take Papabravo's advice, look at what's been done before. Read everything you can about micro controllers and micro processors on wikipedia. There is a LOT of information out there, and browsing it all is a good place to start.
For micro controllers I personally use Atmel's AVR line they have a very nice development environment that is free from their websites (AVRStudio) which can be setup to use the AVR-GCC C compiler (also free) instead of the built in assembler, but I'd recommend getting familiar with assembly. You can use it's included simulator to test compiled code without any physical hardware.
If you decide to actually use Atmel's hardware there are plenty of free schematics available on the net for programming their chips with very little cost, or you can purchase one of the many programmers out there.
For general electronics simulation I use LTSpice (free from Linear Tech) for testing out and learning about various circuit designs. Although simulators aren't the real world they allow you a degree of flexibility and otherwise non-atainable voltage and current snooping on a 'live' circuit.

am i the only who noticed he hasnt replied? Also i love Nigels tutorials! But dont build that parallel programmer. Mainly in the end youll get stuck with having to get a PICKIT 2 anyway when you decide to switch to higher-end PIC Micros. So if i was you i would get a Junebug since its a clone and comes with a 18F1320 and can be used on almost all Pics.

If not then get a "PICkit 2 Starter Kit" fairly inexpensive about $50 USD. And comes with a small demo board.

Product Search - microchipDIRECT

The Pickit 2 alone is only $35 which isnt bad at all!

PICkit 2 Starter Kit and build all of Nigels boards and you'll be on your way

Hello everybody,
I have similar task as hossam mahanna, but more specific.
I have to learn programming uC's from Intel 8051 serial, especially Silicon Labs C8051F132.
Also have to learn Keil C51 (v9.05). Can you tell me best ways to self-learn these stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back