Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How electronics affect sleep?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JodySherman

Good morning,
In my current life, electronics are indispensable devices. It is tied to my work and leisure. According to some recent studies that I know of, electronics will affect sleep. Not sure how it affects you? Hope you can let me know.
Thanks very much.

Anything emitting sound or light may disturb some peoples sleep.

Other than that, as far as I am aware the only "effect" is psychological - people already convinced due to conspiracy nonsense that electronics is somehow harmful, and being upset by their own paranoia.

It's a bit like people afraid of "Radiation" without a clue what the word really means - energy spreading from a point, whether it's electromagnetic, sound, light, ripples or whatever.

Not "electronics" in the usual sense, but devices like this made my life miserable.

My ex made intensive use of them. Our house, more than reasonably warm was a very uncomfortable place where to sleep.

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    6.1 KB · Views: 218
According to some recent studies that I know of,
Post a link to the recent studies that you know if so we can see what context you are referring to. Please don't explain the context in your own words, just post the link to the original research.

I've heard cases were inventors or company founders - especially software-related devices and websites can start failing and their lives can become extremely stressed, especially when outside investors start complaining about losses. This can lead to health problems and unhealthy decisions.

I have a feeling that "Processed Meat Products" are relevant to this thread.

JimB

There is strong clinical evidence that blue-toned light, such as "daylight" LEDs, and especially the UV radiation from white LEDs in phone and tablet backlights, triggers the brain into thinking it is daytime, even late in the evening when it is dark outside. Doing something like checking your email or watching YouTube videos while lying in bed right before sleep is the worst-case scenario.

An easy test is to turn off / blacken of all the screens around you for one hour before sleep. If you really want to read before sleep, read something not work-related, like an actual book, with an incandescent light.

ak

Brand-name white LED manufacturers have been very careful about eliminating UV though efficiency improvements (to be absorbed by phosphor end emitted in visible wavelengths and standard UV absorption techniques to eliminate the rest. So, blue emissions are more likely the cause of insomnia than UV (below 400 or 380nm depending on definition of UV).

finally, eye glasses manufacturers are selling the idea as well that UV and Blue is bad so they are using commercial grade polycarbonate to make lenses with such a high yellow index they no reasonable auto-maker would allow that yellow ness on a headlight lens. So their raw material costs for optical grade Polycarbonate at $5 to 10/kg is now $2 to 3/kg for the plastic pellets.

Too bad the sky looks green, and snow looks yellow for all those people let their optician up charge them for blue filtering lenses.

...or battered at a chip shop ?

Any restaurant in the US that would serve such a thing would be out of business in a month or less. You just gave evidence that one of the two stereotype about Brits and food may be true. Either British cuisine is crap, or the Brits have no tastebuds. Please advise.

I think the only people who eat Spam here are campers, people living in their cars (or otherwise lacking refrigeration), preppers, or someone with a dire case of nostalgia who is looking for a taste from their youth. Also, someone under 35 trying to understand why a food product was named after unwanted internet advertising, or a Monte Python fan (tasting it once).

battered at a chip shop
Any restaurant in the US that would serve such a thing would be out of business in a month or less.
Quite right.
But let me enlighten you.
A "chip shop" or to give a longer description "fish and chip shop", generally does not come into the category of a restaurant.
Also be aware that the quality of the fayre which is on offer in fish and chip shops can vary between an epicurean delight and Australian "goanna" as proposed by Crocodile Dundee.

You just gave evidence that one of the two stereotype about Brits and food may be true. Either British cuisine is crap, or the Brits have no tastebuds. Please advise.
Sadly both stereotypes are partly true.

You, for your part, have also provided evidence about a couple of the stereotypes about Yanks. They have no idea about life outside the borders of the USA, they vocalise loudly about things they know nothing about.
Please advise.

JimB
:)

You, for your part, have also provided evidence about a couple of the stereotypes about Yanks. They have no idea about life outside the borders of the USA, they vocalise loudly about things they know nothing about.
Please advise.
Sorry, your attempt to lessen the blow of truth by discrediting the critic has failed. I've been to over 20 countries and lived in Germany and France. The jokes about bad food or lack of tastebuds in the UK are much more common in Germany and France than in the US. My opinion is that food in the UK generally falls somewhere between bland and vile. Usually just bland.
My last visit to the UK was to advise a private equity group. At the end of the day, my host suggested some restaurants- Chinese, Indian, Thai, Italian.. I said, we have all that in the US. Can we get some good local cuisine? He literally said, "Local and good? That doesn't exist here." I guess that's why I missed out on the spam.

somebody mentioned this:

i've also noticed OP hasn't been back to tell us what "studies" they were referring to...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back