Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How does this thing work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not know exactly how it works. What it does is determine its orientation in relation to a magnetic field. As they say "the output is a linear representation of the angular value".

You might mount the device in a fixed position and it would tell you the angular orientation of a wheel or lever with a magnet attached.

EDIT:
It is a bit wierd. You program the zero angle and such via a 1 wire interface on the same pin that you read the analog angle voltage from.

Last edited:
That is an interesting device. So it would appear you would use this instead of an accelerometer. Looks like you could actually solder that thing, unlike those accelerometers which are usually a QFN pkg.

The one-wire operation isn't so unusual, as the Dallas one-wire has been around. Didn't realize that Philips had started, or even had, a one wire interface.

nickelflippr said:
That is an interesting device. So it would appear you would use this instead of an accelerometer. Looks like you could actually solder that thing, unlike those accelerometers which are usually a QFN pkg.

The one-wire operation isn't so unusual, as the Dallas one-wire has been around. Didn't realize that Philips had started, or even had, a one wire interface.

The unusual thing is that the same pin functions as a 1 wire IO pin for setup and an analog output for normal operation. If you can read the angle using the 1 wire interface I missed that part.

O.K. see that now.
1 VDD supply voltage
2 GND ground
3 OUT/DIGINT analog output voltage or digital
interface
You're right, that is unusual. Used to a digital out via the scratcpad from the Dallas devices. Hard to change my preconceptions, or better yet, put them aside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back