Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how does processor detect overflow in unsigned arithmetic ALU operation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

electroRF

I'm beginning to study the DSP Core that my company uses, as I'll be in charge of different functionalities of it.

I have an overflow detection question.

when two positive signed numbers are added, then overflow can be detected by simply checking if signed-bit of result remains zero.

Then, the DSP Core can set the corresponding ALU-Status Register bit according to the result.

But if two unsigned (positive of course) numbers are added, how does a processor detect an overflow (or non-overflow) in the result?

Thank you.

I don't know how it is done in reality, but I would implement the addition of two 8 bit variables as a 9 bit addition. Then I could just check the 9th bit for overflow.

The part I used 100000 years ago....
Two options.
1) Check the carry bit and then do something.......
2) Run in "clip" mode where any over flow number is assigned the max number. In 8 bit mode 107h would clip to ffh.

1st question: The representation of the numbers:
a) 2's complement
b) magnitude+sign

# of bits? Archetecture # of bits?

As suggested, look at the function of the carry bit.

All matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back