Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How does laptop detect that the lid is closed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

starLED

I was looking at how does my laptop shutdown automatically when I close the lid, but it's not clear to me how is working.
I don't see any switch that is pressed by the lid, or some sensor like the phones have for turning off the screen when you talk.
How does this work?

I've never been interested enough to look, but it's simple enough - either a little mechanical switch somewhere, or a reed switch and a magnet, or even a hall effect switch and a magnet.

There are little magnets on the side of the screen, I guess there is something on the motherboard to detect.

Mine (Panasonic) have a magnetic sensor (presumably hall effect) near the front, next to the trackpad area.

I discovered that because my placing my phone in just the right position puts the laptop in to standby!

yeah, use a magnet near your laptop to find a hall effect resistor... reed switches need bigger magnets so likely too bulky
a mechanical device that works like a pop-up greeting card would also work but is too delicate to be reliable (plus you would notice a rod like item sliding into place)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back