Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How does a toaster oven work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dknguyen

Most Helpful Member
Does anyone know how a toaster oven works inside? I wanted to try and convert one for solder reflow, but mainly for curing things which requires a temperature of 50C-60C. The problem is that ovens don't go that low and I was wondering if it could be done with a custom temperature control.

THanks.

That helps a bit. my problem is not so much with the electronics or temperature control part. It is more with the actually how the oven switches on and off. I'm pretty sure a normal oven only turns completely on or off depending on the temperature inside the oven. I'd like to see if it's possible to turn the heating elements on "part-way" similar to speed control in a motor vs. on/off.

I don't know the mechanism used to switch the heating elements on and off and whether or not the heating elements can be PWM'd to have them be on part-way (I'm not sure if PWM even has any meaning with VAC and even if it does, I'm not sure if a MOSFET can be used to PWM a VAC signal).

Last edited:
I suspect you'll probably find it's usually a crude mechanical thermostat - I would forget PWM or anything, it's NOT need for AC heater control. If you want variable power you use 'burst fire' control, which is easy to do with AC, and perfectly fine for heaters.

I'm a bit worried about overheating the chips since I use lead-free solder and it seems that the two temperatures are really close. I figure I could minimize overshoot if I could get it to be continuously variable power.

Do reflow ovens use on/off with knowledge of how fast the element heats up? or do they have variable power heating elements?

Last edited:
Try **broken link removed** This is article explaining the whole process.

Oven

Well I have found a very nice digitally-controlled infrared-convection toaster oven. Hopefully the digital part of it will allow me to tap my PCB directly into the drivers and relays so I won't need to splice into the high-voltage line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back