Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How does a solenoid valve work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shohadawy

Hi everybody,
I need some information about the operation of a double solenoid valve and how to control it using a PLC

Last edited:
Your question is rather vague, but lets start off simply:

The solenoids are coils of wire with an iron core.
When a current passes through the solenoid, the iron core moves causing the valve to open/close/direct the fluid flow to a different port.
Without detail of the valve you have in mind, it is impossible to say why there are two solenoids or what function they perform.

To operate the valve using a PLC, use two digital outputs. One to operate one of the solenoids, the second to operate the other solenoid.
Write the control program to implement your function.

JimB

Last edited:
A double solenoid valve means that the valve can move to open two ways i-e one in one direction and the other in the other direction.As far as controlling them is concerned use a relay(naturally) for each solenoid.Make a ladder diagram for your project i can help if you post the diagram or atleast the statement of your problem.

Last edited:
And the curve of pulling force vs. armature position is not linear. I guess the coil inductance also varies with the armature position.

This is a dual action valve.

Deenergized pressure flows from Port P to port A, energized if flows from port P to Port B.

Boncuk

Attachments

• VALVE.gif
    VALVE.gif
    10.1 KB · Views: 913
thanks boncuk i have videos of a system using a double solenoidal valves but due to a dial up connection cant upload it.i bet googling it for simulations will give some system examples(best wasy to learn)!

thanks boncuk i have videos of a system using a double solenoidal valves but due to a dial up connection cant upload it.i bet googling it for simulations will give some system examples(best wasy to learn)!

Hi silvarblade, thank you.

If he opens https://www.festo.de he will be able to download construction details of every valve they offer.

In fact, valve constructions are much more primitive than the principle I sketched. E.g. the piston is pressed onto the pressure port by means of the retaining spring. When the coil is energized the piston lifts off aided by pressure.

Boncuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back