Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how does a computer work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revv

hi so im trying to understand how electronics work and how a computer hardware operates

what I understand right now is the Alternative Current gets transformed into Direct Current by the Powersupply but then I dont know what happens after that... where does the electric energy go to after that? I tried researching but I still can't find anything that I can understand.

If anyone could help me simply understand it would be greatly appreciated as I would really like to build computers and eletronics in the future.

I know some eletric components hold electricity charges and some delay the electriciy etc but it is still confusing me.

If you could help me easily understand if thats even possible that would be really cool..

Oh and I made a mistake I know the powersupply doesn't only power the motherboard it also powers the HDD,CD rom

Attachments

• Computer hardware.jpg
    Computer hardware.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
when the computer is turned on all the hardware has electricity running through it right?

Each part is operated at its required voltage and takes the current it needs for operation from the power supply. The power supply thus has to provide the required voltages and be rated for the total current, which is the sum of the currents from all the parts at each voltage. In practice the power supply always has current ratings well in excess of the required value for design margin.

Revv, you have to understand that each and every part of the computer (floppy disk drive, CD drive, screen, hard drive, etc. etc. etc.) has thousands (or millions) of individual components that make it work. There is no simple way to describe exactly how each part of the computer works. It is extremely complex, and I strongly recommend you learn the basics of electronics first. We will be very happy to help you here, but please understand it will take a long time to learn all you need to know to build a computer. Keep in mind that the first computer took decades to build and program. I admire your ambition and determination, but please know building something as complex as a computer can take a long time to learn to do.
I wish you the best of luck!
Regards,
Der Strom

but the old CRT monitors take the power directly from 230v AC plug point
So do computers. But they all have a power supply that converts the AC voltage to the DC voltages that the electronics require.

Your whole approach here strikes me as kind of funny: it's like asking how a car works by examining the operation of the fuel gauge.

The power supply is essential to the operation of the computer, but consider this: you could just as well run the thing on batteries.

You need to look elsewhere than the power supply to learn how them thangs work. Ask us some other questions and we'll try to answer them. (I think the HowStuffWorks link someone gave above should be a good starting point. I like HSW's approach to explaining stuff.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back