Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do you photograph an LCD display?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if the problem is that the camera has some type of polarizing lens that filters out the LCD readout.

Very Curious...

If it does, just take a picture of it with the display orientated in the same polarisation as the camera's lens and it should work.

blueroomelectronics said:
Any tips for getting a decent exposure on a 2x16 backlit LCD?

These notes are for a Canon PowerShot A520--your camera is probably newer. But I've had good luck with this one. Note that I have no idea what your experience with these things are (I am a self-taught sub-hobbyist photog at best) so I'm just gonna say it all; skip the stuff you already know.

First I turned on all the room lights I could (not much in this log house) and set the camera on a little tripod about 12-15cm from the LCD (sorry about using the printer LCD; it's all I have at mom & dad's).

Camera settings:

o Full manual mode.
o F-stop: 2.6
o Shutter speed: 1/5 second
o Focus: full manual; range: Approx. 12 cm.
o Flash: off
o ISO: 50
o White balance: auto

This ain't exactly National Geographic quality but you can see what's what anyway. Skipping the flash lets the backlight show up without getting washed out.

Hope that's something like what you were looking for,

Torben

Attachments

• img_3699.jpg
    img_3699.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 272
Torben's idea is best. Put the camera on a tripod, turn off the flash and let the camera use as long a shutter speed as it needs.
In lieu of the tripod, put the camera on an object and use the self-timer to shoot the scene to eliminate camera shake at slow shutter speeds with the flash off.

Well I better get a tripod, I use virtual LCDs (thanks to Oshonsoft) for documentation.
The problem must have been the backlight throughs off the cameras meter and it poorly exposest the rest of the image. I'll try a slow shutter.

Well I better get a tripod, I use virtual LCDs (thanks to Oshonsoft) for documentation.
The problem must have been the backlight throughs off the cameras meter and it poorly exposest the rest of the image. I'll try a slow shutter.

How about the refresh rate of the display and that should not interfere with the photo. The exposure time should take care of this aspect I believe. whether the polaroid can't be removed for a while!! ( I am not an expert in photographic techniques.

Pasan,
I'm impressed since it still works with the black wire broken off. ;)

mvs sarma said:
How about the refresh rate of the display and that should not interfere with the photo. The exposure time should take care of this aspect I believe. whether the polaroid can't be removed for a while!! ( I am not an expert in photographic techniques.

Right--with a long manual shutter time the refresh shouldn't be an issue. Hero999 is right about the polarization issue--I don't have this problem with my camera, but I suppose if some camera/LCD combination *did* show this problem, presumably turning the camera sideways should solve it, like it does with polarized sunglasses.

um. . .I think. This advice is worth exactly what you paid for it. :)

Torben

Well I managed to get this, the LCD is a little soft (the better photo had a big finger print on the display so I trashed it).
**broken link removed**

Well I managed to get this, the LCD is a little soft (the better photo had a big finger print on the display so I trashed it).

Looks great!

Torben

You could always bung it under a half decent scanner.

Pardon the dust on mine but it is nearly 10 years old.

Attachments

• scope2.jpg
    scope2.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 151
  • scope.jpg
    scope.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 151
  • tacho 1500.jpg
    tacho 1500.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 137
If you can get hold of an older Epson one they do 3D pretty well.

The newer Epson scanners are pretty dire. The attached images were done on an old Epson Stylusscan 2500.

Attachments

• red%20bulb.jpg
    red%20bulb.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 165
  • 9005W.jpg
    9005W.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 155
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back