Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how do you make laser tripwire

Status
Not open for further replies.

colin886

Ive seen these in movies and think it would be cool to make.
if you know how please tell me how to make laser tripwire :D

ypu get a lazer and a photo-detector you mount them ontop of eachother (pointing the same way) then you have something reflective in the path of the lazer (pref a bike reflector to scatter the beam a bit) and the photodetector should pick up majority of the refected beam

if some1 breaks the beam phtodetector recieves no light and you can use that signal to trip something

I think that the most sophisticated and reliable (in ability to detect) is a simple video camera with the "empty room" frame stored in memory. If that frame changes, there's obviously an intrustion. It's best for a windowless room, such as a vault so that outside lights such as autos don't trigger the thing.

Dean

Styx,

Shouldn't you have the laser and photodetector opposite eachother? That way, you wouldn't need to "scatter" the lazer - you could have it properly lined up... If the lazer was scattered, would that not increase the likelihood of an error? Sorry if I'm wrong but please explain cos I'm still learning.

Cheers, Mike.

yes, you're right roboticmisinfo. thats the way I did it.

I'm not really sure what you're talking about styx, can you explain a bit more?

zachtheterrible said:
yes, you're right roboticmisinfo. thats the way I did it.

It's often far easier to have the transmitter and receiver together (it saves running extra wires), place a small mirror opposite, and bounce the beam back to the receiver - the beam will be broken just as easily by an intruder, but it's easier to do.

I don't understand what Styx is on about either?.

There is a Lazer Alarm circuit on my wesite.

**broken link removed**

Take a look.............Gary

remote lazer trip wire

is there anyway to make a lazer tripwire that will alarm somewhere else preferably with out a ton of wires. also could someone please explain more how to make it so when the photo detector loses light it completes the circuit to make the alarm go..

Very old thread...

From my experience, it's real tough getting the beam lined up with the detector. I used an IR receiver module from an old VCR, and a microcontroller to pulse the laser (pointer) at 37 khz. Mostly just did it to see if a red laser would work, but it was too much trouble getting it aimed right.

This topic has been covered many times here, and on the web, just search a little, maybe you'll find something you can use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back