Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how do you learn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Jbroadway.

It depends on you, as a person, learn best. I, for example, am more of a hands-on learner, so I learn best by actually doing the programming, while reading a little bit about the basics. Some other people, however, would learn better by reading books, while only doing a little bit of hands-on work. There are tutorials out there on the internet that can walk you through programming, so it would be worth googling them. How do YOU learn best?
Regards,
Der Strom

pick one you like, get it, start using it. at first you will want to run any code just to get familiar with process and handling then do simple own programs (flash LED, etc.). you will get more experience as you use it. i didn't use picaxe but arduino was very straight forward.

I think it's probably a tough question. I think there is a certain amount of background information that you need. If that's lacking, then I think it will be tough. By background info, I mean things such as any programming language and boolean algebra.

C, BASIC and assembly which would probably be your basic languages. All have their own issues.

Once you have those under your belt, then you may have to study the archetecture of the machine.

I may be playing with an NXP ARM controller in a Coridium Corp development system soon. There seems to be a lot to learn. The Phillips User manual for the processor is about 600 pages long and the documentaion from Coridium is convoluted in one BIG manual AND they don't seem to have good examples for what I think is something that I should have a good example for:

How to use a single pin in a rising or falling interrupt way?

That happens to be a key concept that I will need.

I also looked at the MSP430 from TI and I bought a Lauuchpad for like really cheap. Something like $4.95. It's like a complete system to play with. Free development tools are restricte d in size. They just introduced GRACE a few months ago that is basically supposed to speed up the process of initialization. Two books seemed worthwhile. One on C and the other on the MSP430 Archetecture.

I have a project where the MSP430 would be ideal for. It's automotive and getting to the signals in the is the hard part. What I would like to do is create an alternate "brake on" solution. I can't easily see the dash warning light because of the steering wheel position and my height.

So, I need something that would interface to:
1. The vehicle speed sensor
2. Sense if the parking brake is applied
3. Sense if the ECM has power or should have power.
4. Turn on a buzzer

The program only has to do a few things. Sense an edge change on the speed sensor and if the parking brake is applied beep for say 10 seconds. If the engine has been running for say one minute do not do the test. If the state of the parking brake changes to off during the 10 sec delay, the buzzer should turn off.

Seems like a relatively simple program, but it also seems hard to pull off.

ive done the basics with basics i made and programmed with the help of the internet a robot but id like to be able to just say yes this is what i need and write it and i learn best by doing im gonna look up some tutorials on youtube

thanks

ive done the basics with basics i made and programmed with the help of the internet a robot but id like to be able to just say yes this is what i need and write it and i learn best by doing im gonna look up some tutorials on youtube

thanks

JB, would you mind using a little punctuation next time please? :D

It took me a few times of reading that to figure out what you meant ;)

Regards

sorry, thats the second time on this forum ive been told off for that :D

i will start writing it better.

is it easy to pick up once i start learning. Is there any books or anything that give you a full list of commands that would help me out. i think i am going to use picaxe because they seem to be able to do everything i might need and basic seems reasonably easier without any programming knowledge (yet).

Phew! That's a relief. I'm from the southern United States, see, and... well, nevermind.

Getting back on track - did you know there are simulators available? Type "Arduino simulator" and "Pickaxe simulator" into the search engine - they are available for both of these. Some of the simulators are free, some have reconfigurable breadboards, one even runs on an iPhone. Any sort of "hands on" approach beats using a book for learning microcontroller programming. With a simulator you can screw things up - INTENTIONALLY, if you wish (just to see what happens) - and you will not burn anything out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back