Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how do you gain confidence to take a long vacation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

electroRF

Hi,
I work as engineer in an hitech company.
I wanna take a 1 month vacation this summer to India (I have just enough vacation days left for that).

It'd be the first vacation I ever took.

However, I find it so hard to make this step, detach myself from everything that's going on back at work, and just have pure fun.

Have you ever been there?

I'd love to hear how you take that step and go for it.

I never found the step difficult in the days when I worked for a living :D. Just let your manager know well in advance, so that cover can be arranged for your duties.
Have you ever been there?
If you mean to India; no.

How long have you had this job with the Company? Do you feel secure in your position?

If I'm reading your post corretly, it appears that it's not so much a question of jeopardizing job security as it is a concern on your part that you won't be able to divorce yourself from the job for 30 days.

So, in that regard, you take that step by taking that step.

Glib and perhaps a bit dated, but "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy..." :D

Hi guys, thanks for your feedback!

Bob,
You were right about me and the divorcing myself from the job part.

I feel as much secure as one can feel when it comes to hitech, which is the most insecure environment.

Did you ever take this step?

From personal experience make sure that if you deal with multiple working departments in your workplace that all of them know you are leaving, why you are leaving, and for how long and that you have their acknowledgment of it in writing.

Signatures on paper agreeing that they knew ahead of time what you were doing makes returning without hassle much easier or at least it will make severance packages far larger! (lawyers love making very expensive litigations against past employers over acknowledgment signatures.) ;)

After that leave the cell phone that they have the number to at home and have fun. ;)

Seriously. Signatures and leave the cell phone behind. You won't regret it!:D

Hi guys, thanks for your feedback!

Bob,
You were right about me and the divorcing myself from the job part.

I feel as much secure as one can feel when it comes to hitech, which is the most insecure environment.

Did you ever take this step?

Many times.

I've pretty much always enjoyed my work. But I've never felt that it defined me.

Worked for Apple back in 82' to 86' (sales and support). Heady times and unbelievable fun (and outstanding salary). First vacation was 2 weeks. Second was a month. Got some grief for that but I made it a point to say I'd call once a week to check in. By the second week I was told to just have a good time, come back in sober when I returned and to send post cards.

Have never thought about taking whatever kind or length of vacation since.

Hi

This post from electroRF has got me thinking...

Way back when I worked for the biggest TV repair and Maintenance company in South Africa...you were not allowed to accumulate leave. The Company would force you to decide when and for how long you would take your leave......A day after you are on leave they sent the Gestapo from Head Office in to check on EVERYTHING in your branch......

They were there checking to see if anything could not be covered because the Manager is away. LOL.

Well, I always play by the rules...They checked my branch whilst I was on leave and called me and said they need to see me. No problem.

Then...they tried to make me part of the Gestapo "bust your buddy network/nail your innocent friend or Manager".... Being wet behind the ears at the time and Head Office liking and trusting me....I fell for it. I was then forced to turn on my innocent friends who were mostly my age and doing their very best for the Company....

Then, the final straw came when I was told one Morning that I must leave immediately for another Branch and open it....Deon is away they said.

Me: I don't have keys.
Them: Here they are. Open the branch and make money.
Me: I cannot do this. How is he going to feel when he gets back from leave and finds that I have been here without him knowing?
Them: Not his problem. He is away. Make money...

To cut a long story short...I ran that Branch for the two weeks that he was away on leave with the Gestapo looking over my shoulder the whole time...AND I MADE LESS MONEY THAN HE DID over the same corresponding period of time.

So, he gets back from leave. Can't open his shop. I must. And he is upset because I have the keys.....

And he is my friend and a trusted Employee...

Good thing the Company went bust. And well deserved too. You cannot turn friends into enemies because the guy at the top is schizophrenic or Paranoid.

Regards,
tvtech

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back