Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do you choose wattage for resistors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

antknee

How do you choose the wattage for resistors? Is there a general principle? I tend to use 0.5W because it seems to work with everything but 0.25W are smaller so I'd prefer to use them where possible.

I have made up a schematic in Eagle and attached it. It has the following resistors-

R1 = R1 on a 555 timer
R2 = R2 on a 555 timer
FB1 = Feedback resistor on opamp
FB2 = Feedback resistor on opamp
Various potentiometers.

It has a +/-9V supply with ~ 1.5A.

Thanks.

opa548-jpg.44084

Attachments

• opa548.jpg
    opa548.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,042
hi,
All the resistors could be 0.125W.

Simply calculate how much power will be dissipated in a resistor then double it so the resistor does not get too hot.
The amount of power is:
I squared x R
V x I
V squared/R.

Simply calculate how much power will be dissipated in a resistor then double it so the resistor does not get too hot.
The amount of power is:
I squared x R
V x I
V squared/R.

Just to add: carbon film resistors have a tremendeously high positive temperature coefficient. If used at all stay well below 1/4 of the rated wattage, which is important for timing resistors.

Do not use carbon film resistors for high precision voltage dividers at all and use metal film resistors instead. Carbon film resistors change resistance just by the heat produced by the circuit - even in the low mW range.

Boncuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back