Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how do u test a crystal w/ multimeter

Status
Not open for further replies.

the judge

i get most of my components from old junk and i have a lot of crystals, but i couldn't find any datasheets for any of them :( i have a multimeter with a frequency setting, can i use that to test it and if so, how? also is there any way of finding out what voltage or current i should or can use?

You need an oscillator circuit to test crystals and a very accurate frequency meter. I believe there are dedicated crystal testers around, they are not typical meters in most shops.

The oscillator will be different for different crystals. It depends on frequency and the cut of the crystal. Hard to give a simple answer, but a simple oscillator can be made with CMOS or TTL logic gates which should work with typical microprocessor type crystals.

is the oscillator circuit to test it relatively cheap/simple? if so, can someone post it please?
Here is an example I used in my scope calibrator.

Attachments

• Xtal osc.jpg
    Xtal osc.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 1,470
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back