Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do I wire LEDs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vulti

If I have a 12v 800ma Power Adapter plugged into my wall

I want to wire up 8 LEDS,

Last edited:
What is the voltage and current rating of the LEDs? Can't advise you without that info.

If the 12V adapter voltage is actually somewhat higher than 12V then you may be able to wire four LEDs in series, with 2 banks of them. You need a resistor in series with each bank of series LEDs. For a nominal 20mA of current and a nominal LED voltage of 3.1V, the resistor value would be (Measured adapter voltage - 3.1 x 4) / .020.

If the adapter voltage is actually only 12V then you can only have 3 LEDs in series max. You would then have two banks of three LEDs in series, and one bank of two LEDs. You need a resistor in series with each bank. The resistor values are(12V - 3.1 x 3) / .020 = 135Ω for the 3 LEDs in series, and (12V - 3.1 x 2) / .020 = 290Ω for the two LEDs in series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back