Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do i use a siren as a speaker for music output?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cazzo

Hellllllllooooooyoyoyo

i BOUGHT this:
**broken link removed**

It has a microphone and a button to operate it, is there any way i can connect a headphone jack socket somewhere so that i can plug in iphone and play music through the speaker??

thnaks

It is almost certainly possible to do what you want with that, but the devil is in the detail.

I guess if you opened up the handset and the back of the speaker to find the amplifier, it would be possible.
But with out knowing the detail, all the rest is just guesswork.

I had to laugh at this part of the advert:
•60 W Speaker gives very loud sound - about 300 decibels at full volume

A sound pressure level of 300dB would be sticking your ear to the exhaust of a jet engine, and then some!
A ridiculous claim!

JimB

If the speaker is 4 ohms and has a bridged amplifier then its power with a 13.2V supply is 20W (not 60W) when clipping badly.
If the speaker is 8 ohms and has the bridged amplifier and 13.2V supply then its power is 11W.

The siren is simply an oscillator that feeds the amplifier. Don't use the oscillator, use the amplifier.
For music, the horn speaker will sound awful with no bass sounds and no high frequencies.

EDIT: Sorry, there are some cultures where their "music" contains no bass sounds and no high frequencies.

Last edited:
So what do I have to do to get music to play on the siren?
You can attenuate the music source with two resistors and feed it to where the microphone was connected.
IT WILL SOUND AWFUL (in most cultures).

Here in Canada, Home Depot stores used to play "music" though their outdoor horn PA speakers. It sounded so bad that they don't doo dat anymore.

Have a look inside the unit and see if you can find a chip with a heatsink on it, then do a google for its number and see if you can find a datasheet for it, from the datasheet you'll be able to get some idea about where an input signal would go.
Or you could follow the mic wires, they probaby go to a tranny or opamp preamp, the output of this is probably more or less line level.
If it has a old fashioned rotary type volume control then the track connection is a good spot to connect an audio signal too.

"It was measured with the similar impact of a 1000-Mega-ton bomb with a decibel rating 300-315. "

1) nobody has ever MADE a 1000 MT bomb, let alone tested one. the largest one ever was a 50MT test with a design that had the potential to yield 100 MT.

2)maximum undistorted SPL is 194db. above 194db, the trough (the "negative peak" if you will) reaches the limit of 0 pounds per sq inch. so there is a limitation on how loud something can be without the sound becoming distorted. 300db would require two million times the acoustic power of a source that produces 194db, and 194db requires a million times the power of a 94db source.

Uncle Jed said:
maximum undistorted SPL is 194db. above 194db, the trough (the "negative peak" if you will) reaches the limit of 0 pounds per sq inch. so there is a limitation on how loud something can be without the sound becoming distorted. 300db would require two million times the acoustic power of a source that produces 194db, and 194db requires a million times the power of a 94db source.

So, I think we are agreed that an SPL of 300dB from a "60 what" amplifier/speaker is not a practical proposition.;)

JimB

i cant just connect the music jack output to the microphone wires?

You could try that.

But as I said earlier, the devil is in the detail.

Depending on the type of microphone, there may be a polarising voltage for the mic element, so use a capacitor to prevent shorting that voltage and potentially damaging your iphone/pod/thingy.

The output from the iphone/pod/thingy will probably be much greater than the output of the microphone, so, as others have mentioned you will need a simple attenuator to prevent overdriving the amplifier.

JimB

A mono attenuator uses only two resistors. A stereo to mono converter and attenuator uses only three resistors.
The attenuator must reduce the line level from the MP3 player to about 1/28 (27k to 1k resistors).

Hey unc, my wife shouts at me at 3oodB every day.
I worked with large high quality intercom systems for many years but I never installed an intercom system in my home.
If my wife and I are in different parts of the house then my wife screams at 300dB to reach me. But frequently I am just around the corner and the loud sound nearly blows my ears off.

The place to feed the signal into the loudhailer would be at the volume control. Generally between the mic preamp and the 300dB SPL power amp.
But, considdering that the OP appears to be void of electronics knowledge, I would suggest 2 rubber bands. One to wold the P/T switch in, the other to hold the source to the microphone. Oh, just kiddn. E

But considering that the OP appears to be devoid of electronics knowledge, I would suggest 2 rubber bands; one to hold the PTT switch in, the other to hold the source to the microphone. Oh, just kiddn. E
quotation spelling and punctuation edited by KJ6EAD

You should make it sound all technical like "acoustic coupling" and "passive elastomeric system enable". You can't expect to be taken seriously if you tell someone to plug in a pair of headphones and rubber band the earcups to the microphone, even if it is a practical solution. :p

Last edited:
Thanks for the s + p corrections. Unfortunately, I am just an ESLer and that considdered, I do OK

I guess I could have gone all technical, but I did not want to loose anyone!

Oh, go ahead and correct! E

Last edited:
i actually saw a website describe a "quick and dirty" method of interfacing a ham rig and a computer to work digimodes. it was an acoustic coupler ( a cardboard box with a computer speaker in it, and a hole cut in the box to put the rig's microphone), and a rubber band around the microphone. this was for transmit. the receive function was similar, using a computer microphone taped next to the rig's speaker. it actually does work, but is not as good as using an electronic interface box....

Some of us older ones will remember the bbc modem, it was just what you described unc only a nicer lloking plastic box and it worked with a 706 type telephone receiver, you had to dial the number yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back