Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do I solder this to Wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComleteNOOB

**broken link removed**

The plastic housing wont come off & just curious how to solder it to wire? I need the plastic so the two terminals don't touch.

It appears to be a crimp-on connector, not a solder-on.

Ken

CompleteNOOB,

I'm the forum idiot so don't be horning in on my turf. The wire connector that you have shown requires a tool known as a crimper. It is very similar to a pair of pliers but in places of gripping jaws it has some mating arches that crush metal connector so that it grips on the wire. The type that I use has a tonsil in the middle of upper arch and it embeds the connector into the wire when crushed.

Now if your application dictates that the connector is soldered on then get your heat gun out and soften the plastic insulator so that you side it off. If you don't intend to use the insulator then use a knife and cut it off.

Yep,
I'mClueless

This reminds me of my poor old dad. Sweet he was!
I saw him once driving a screw in with a hammer
Me: What do you think the slot is for?
He: To take the screw out!

NOOB: Go to your local electrical/automotive store and show them the pix. My personal advice: Do Not Touch Tools!

I'mC
There are two types of crimpers:
One for insulated connectors and one for non-insulated connectors
If you use the wrong crimp you will end up with an unreliable connection (hopefully you are no longer there to realize the consequences of the poor job)
Finally: a solid wire crimped is allways a poor connection. Crimp only stranded wire!
What a word: "crimp"!
E

Yeah thats technically to be joined using a crimper tool. That being said. If you do a good job and its not super mission critial or under severe conditions you can...Take a small regular screw driver and a hammer. insert wire. line up the screw driver with the slit in the connector. Hit it good with a hammer. Drink a beer. use vice grips or a lot of hand power and pliers along the sides so the slit is inbetween the pliers..squeeze your brains out..then do the same but put the slit on the face of the pliers and smash it down..tug on it..hope it held..if not..drink a beer..rise ..repeat.

Hi,

If you really must use those connectors, another idea is to cut the plastic away with a knife, solder them on to the wires, then use heat shrink tubing to insulate. Works pretty well. They make cheap crimper tools but you really have to know how to use them correctly or you could end up with a partially loose connection that will overheat and might burn something. If you have never crimped one of these kinds of connectors before then i really dont recommend doing it that way.

Really nice pic's though :)

Last edited:
Crimping tools have to work a way to seal the crimped cable air tight. (to prevent corrosion)

Those cheap crimping tools won't do the job properly. They just hold the cable tightly in place loosing conductivity as time goes by.

If you don't have the proper crimping tool it's advisable to crimp & solder.

The plastic cover can be removed by applying heat, either using a heat gun or boiling water.

When the cover is removed slip it over the cable and thereafter crimp the connection - then solder for complete fill to replace trapped air and corrosion prevention. When finished slip the the cover back onto the connector.

Boncuk

Crimping tools have to work a way to seal the crimped cable air tight. (to prevent corrosion)

Those cheap crimping tools won't do the job properly. They just hold the cable tightly in place loosing conductivity as time goes by.

You should inform all of the Asian manufacturers of this standard. Not only are they not sealing the crimps, I have seen where they crimped the plastic and missed metal body of the wire end.

I'll guarantee you that when a reckneck yankee crimps a wire end you ain't gonna pull it off.

I have trailers that have light wiring with crimped connectors and one had been in service for over twenty years. I was setting at a dock waiting for load and I kept catching a flash in my mirror. I would watch it until something else distracted me and poof there would be another flash. The truck has auto reset breakers so when the resistance got high enough there would be a brief light show and then the breaker would trip. It finally managed to set the wiring on fire and that's when I figured it out.

My first documented experience with resistance.

Yep,
I'mClueless

You should inform all of the Asian manufacturers of this standard. Not only are they not sealing the crimps, I have seen where they crimped the plastic and missed metal body of the wire end.

That's a real good one. :D

I purchased an evaporative cooler three months ago and the water pump didn't work right from the beginning. Turning it in for guarantee repair would have been fruitless. I'd have gotten the question "What's guarantee?"

I tore apart the whole thing and a sharp look at the MCU board revealed a cable having been crimped loosely with all the insulation. It fell off after the second look. :D

Asians generally don't trust any word of a "Farang" (Non-Asian). They even don't trust themselves.

You should know that I'm not a Thai. :)

Last edited:
The purpose of these connectors is to crimp a wire to them. And not to solder a connection between two points.

It defeats the purpose!

Just buy a lug so you can solder to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back