Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do i read this circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syafiq

Hi

This is a circuit of an Operational Transcondcutance Amplifier. This is part of my project, but I am not so well-versed in reading schematics. Can anyone explain this OTA schematic in a simple manner? Thanks!

Attachments

• OTA.jpg
    OTA.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 207
Hi

This is a circuit of an Operational Transcondcutance Amplifier. This is part of my project, but I am not so well-versed in reading schematics. Can anyone explain this OTA schematic in a simple manner? Thanks!
as per my little knowledge, i assume that on left side are the two current sources
one each on Vdd and Vss
At the middle it is a differential amplifier at the middle with having current sources on each drain. the common part at centre bottom is a adjustable bias using a FET.
it could perhaps be useful as a modulating input either.

finally at the right it could be called a complementary push pull , with common drains outputting the amplified signal.

This is a long tailed pair. Here goes:
Put a bias voltage on VBIAS. This causes a current to flow in the drain of M5. This current is split between M1/M3 and M2/M4. If the input voltage Vin+ exceeds Vin-, then all the current flows down the M2/M4 combo. M4 and M6 form a current mirror. If they have the same turn on voltage the current i2 should be equal to current i6. Current i2 creates a certain gate-source voltage (=VDD - Y) and if M4 and M6 are matched, since this same gate-source voltage is applied to M4 and M6, equal currents flow. Likewise with M3 and M8. Therefore by changing Vin+ - Vin-, you can change the amplitude of i2, hence the amplitude of i6. Likewise with i8 and i7, so Iout is equal to i6 - i7.

This is a long tailed pair. Here goes:
Put a bias voltage on VBIAS. This causes a current to flow in the drain of M5. This current is split between M1/M3 and M2/M4. If the input voltage Vin+ exceeds Vin-, then all the current flows down the M2/M4 combo. M4 and M6 form a current mirror. If they have the same turn on voltage the current i2 should be equal to current i6. Current i2 creates a certain gate-source voltage (=VDD - Y) and if M4 and M6 are matched, since this same gate-source voltage is applied to M4 and M6, equal currents flow. Likewise with M3 and M8. Therefore by changing Vin+ - Vin-, you can change the amplitude of i2, hence the amplitude of i6. Likewise with i8 and i7, so Iout is equal to i6 - i7.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back