Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do I dim a PWM input with a POT

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdelicath

I have a driver for high power LED's that uses PWM 0 to 5v to dim the LED's. This works great when using the Arduino to control dimming but what if I want to dim the driver manually with a 10k POT or otherwise?
Please be kind I am a big old Noob.

You can generate a pot-controlled PWM signal with a 555. Just Google 555 PWM circuit.

I thought a 555 was used to dim PWM.
I am looking for a way to convert the driver I already have that uses PWM 0 to 5v to dim but via a pot manually. I apologize if I am missing something here. Could I just supply +5 to one end of a pot and the other to the PWM pin in the driver and then adjust it that way?

I think I grasp what you're asking and what you're working with. If I'm correct in my thinking then no you cannot simply attach a POT to the drivers PWM input and have it properly (I'm guessing it would just stay at 100% brightness). You need something that generates a PWM signal with a POT control. A 555 timer as stated above can be used for this purpose and is very simple to get up and running. **broken link removed** simliar to the linked page but instead connect the motor control line to your LED driver's PWM input.

Ok so I looked at the link and I understand now that what I need now is a PWM signal and not a limiting of V to dim. Forgive me for even asking because I don't want to sound lazy but is there any way you could explain more about the 555 chip and how I would go about connecting a POT to it to make it dim. Trigger, output and control explanations are all a bit overwhelming for my level of understanding. It would be a great help to understand in lemans terms how this thing works.

**broken link removed** I would like to dim this via a POT

The schematic in jimlovell777's reference has a PWM schematic with a pot to control the duty-cycle. Just build that.

Do you want to dim the LED's, by moving the potenciometer? if you are using an arduino i can help you.

well I am using a arduino to dim these but I also want the ability to dim via the POT for the time being while I try to figure out the code for the arduino. I have the dimming working with the arduino but now I need to figure out how to add my RTC and use it to have the LED's dim at a set time.

Last edited:
for dimming with the POT, the arduino IDE has an example, as for the RTC, wich one are you using?

I am using the DS1307 For my RTC I had it working at one time but I moved to a I2C LCD board to save pins on the arduino and I am trying to figure that thing out now just so I can print out time and date on the LCD.
I am looking for a separate way to dim these drivers via a analog dial completely separate from the arduino.
I understand that I need to build a 555 timer to do what I am looking for but my schematic reading skills are really crappy. I need someone to draw me a fricken map:D
I have been searching for a picture of one online so I can see where the wires go but no luck yet.
I would love to learn more about coding on the arduino. Any recommendations on beginners learning from the ground up? I am a web developer so I was thinking I would take to programming a bit easier but I was very mistaken.

Can any one explain to me what's going on here?
**broken link removed**
I recognize some of the symbols but i'm lost on the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back