Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do i check speaker ohm from this digital multimeter

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinkhan

Im new to electronics and dont have a clue how to use a multimeter

this is the one i have
**broken link removed**

Would appreciate any help provided

Thanks

No theres a small sound coming out of the speaker but not what it sould be. I had the same problem with the other speaker a few weeks ago and took it to the repair shop and they said "one of the circuits was dry"
does this mean that one of the joints needs to be re soldered? and any ideas where i can go looking?

sorry i have no knowledge of circuits.

A couple of things. A full range speaker has a crossover in it, It has a few components, notabley coils and non-polorized caps.

First, you need to swap speakers - this tells you that the speaker is the problem. Each speaker has a voice coil. checking the resistance of each voice coil with the crossover disconnected is at least a start. Making sure that the leads leading to the speaker have continuity is another. If the impedance is 8 ohms, the resistance will be somewhat lower,, say 6 ohms or so.

Large speakers can be tested with a 1.5 V battery. When a battery is attached to the voice coil with the proper polarity, the cone pushes out.

There can be internal fuses in a speaker enclosure too. Mine are behind the grill cloth and the speakers are removed after the cloth is removed.

Scratchyness is usually the result of a voice coil getting hot. The cone will have friction when depressed manually.

You can test each speaker individually at low power. The tweeters would be susceptable to damage at high power levels.

The surrounds could be damaged.

Check the crossover for bad connections. Capacitors in the crossover can be the cause of bad sound as well. These MUST be replaced with non-polarized caps of the proper voltage rating or higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back