Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do i charge a LEAD ACID battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey ! a PB137 is like a LM317 set to 13.7v heh

dropout is about 2v to 2.5v so at 13.7+2.5 = 16.2v

so a 19v supply should do

Last edited:
If you charge your little batteries at 2.4A (the typical output current of a PB137) then they might be destroyed.
With a 19V supply it will dissipate [(19V - 13.7V) x 2.4A=] 12.7w and will need a pretty big heastsink.
But if your batteries are old and discharged then they will not charge.

who said i was charging at 2.4A? the max is 2.1A so i assume... 1.5A is good enough... hence the LM317
[(19V - 13.7V) x 2.4A=] 12.7w

would then be

[(19V - 13.7V) x 1.5A=] 7.95w

but dont i have to account for the 2v dropout?

19v-13.7v-2v*1.5A = 4.95w

Last edited:
Sorry, the PB137 and the LM317 both have a typical output current of 2.2A, not 2.4A. I read the graph wrongly in the datasheet.
Their minimum guaranteed output is 1.5A.
The max current of some LM317's is 3.4A. That will blow up your little batteries.

check this out ==>> **broken link removed**
An interesting micro controller charger module

9-36V input, temp compensated.
I'm thinking about trying one of these out.

Last edited:
The project I'm working on requires a 7AH battery in long term service outside, summer and winter. Considering the temperature swing I figure temp comp is important so I don't cook the battery (or worse, cause it to vent) on a 100 degree day. I looked at all kinds of schematics from simple to exotic but once I found the silvertel unit I quit looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back