Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do I charge a capacitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BringMeEs&KsM897

I have a 300V 60 uF capacitor but if I put DC voltage to it no charge would
store. So then I got a differant capacitor and did the same thing and the same
hapend. And I also checked them with my multimeter and they are both good.
So what am I doing wrong? And can I use AC curent to charge a capcitor?

try to charge it using 230V AC with a proper rectifire diode in (+) lead , but BE CAREFULL!!!

ERM personaly i wouldnt do it! from the way the OP's post is written it sounds like zero knowledge (no offence BringMeEs&KsM897). maybe someone with knowledge will come along and ask you some relevant questions to find out what you want to do, yes i know you want to charge a cap but why, what is it for. then maybe they can walk you through a safe route as messing with a fully charged 300v cap isnt safe without knowing what your doing! not being negative at all just being careful :D

I have a 300V 60 uF capacitor but if I put DC voltage to it no charge would
store.
What voltage did you use?
So then I got a differant capacitor and did the same thing and the same
hapend.
What values are the differant cap?
What did you do to test for a charge?
And I also checked them with my multimeter and they are both good.
multimeters are not the best to test caps.
Not if it is an electrolytic.
Andy

a capacitor can be charged by merely connecting its leads to a DC source, and for 60uF without a limiting resistor, it takes uS or less to charge. to witness the discharging phase as a proof that its charged, simply short out the two leads togather, you should see a faint spark, this is due to the sharp jump of voltage at the first instant or shortage and it happens because by shortening you bypass the insulation material and the + plate gets compensated for lack of electronics from the (-) until it reaches equivelance which is the complete discharging.

I do have knowledge its just I only do small electronic circuits not large ones.

i wasnt having a go or being rude sometimes its just best to assume the poster dosnt have much knowledge untill such times they declare different :D have fun with the caps! great to watch on a scope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back