Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how do i build a mini ATX

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninaice

hi i was thinking of wat kind of project i could build for my final year in the university and the idea of building a mini ATX came up but i dont know how to start and what components to get. i ams studying computer engineering in the university and i do not mind any other useful suggestions on projects that i can build.

ninaice said:
hi i was thinking of wat kind of project i could build for my final year in the university and the idea of building a mini ATX came up but i dont know how to start and what components to get. i ams studying computer engineering in the university and i do not mind any other useful suggestions on projects that i can build.
I think you need in no particular order:
  1. A case
  2. A motherboard
  3. A keyboard
  4. A display/monitor
  5. A Hard Drive
  6. A CD/DVD Drive
Oh...Forgot

7. A Power Supply

Last edited:
thanks for the quick response.Is there a circuit diagram for this kind of project, and if there is it possible for you to please to please send it to me

It's just a question of buying the parts and screwing them together, it wouldn't be much of a project for a University project though - half an hour or so to do, and any kid from about 12 upwards could probably do it?.

If you're talking about building a mini-ATX board from scratch yourself, then that's an entirely different proposition all together - but if you have to ask for help here?, there's no way you're going to manage it!.

ninaice said:
thanks for the quick response.Is there a circuit diagram for this kind of project, and if there is it possible for you to please to please send it to me
Most of those parts only go together one way. Like Nigel said, a 12 year old could do the assembly. It's the purchasing and the credit card that he's missing. Oh...BTW you'll never be able to build one as cheap as you can buy the whole thing.

ninaice said:

You are studying computer engineering, and you are going to put a simple computer together from off-the-shelf components? Glad to see grad students have such high expectations... I put together computers like that for fun! And i haven't even graduated high school!

Now, if you are actually going to use what you have studied in school, you'd build one from scratch, which is highly unlikely... If you want it to be "mini", then... well... you are S.O.L... The traces on the PCBs are so close together, you couldn't manage. Also, just think of all the components that would be needed!? You would need a north and south bridge, IDE controller, floppy controller, BIOS, CPU, RAM (that is a crapload of connections right there), RAM controller, not to mention all the smaller circuits needed... ugh...

You are either way in over your head, or not in far enough! I would suggest choosing a simpler project...

I think one of us is missing something ? Either we don't get the question or he doesnt understand the project...i really doubt a university would assign a computer build as a project.

pete

amdkicksass said:
I think one of us is missing something ? Either we don't get the question or he doesnt understand the project...i really doubt a university would assign a computer build as a project.

pete
yer cause I recently built a mini-ITX system for my home server and I just went to https://linitx.com picked a case,mobo,RAM,optic,HD and got it delivered for ~£250 and within 30min had it assembled & booting the ArchLinux installCD to setup home file/webserver

There is more to this question then is being stated. Possible route is a mini-ATX power supply?
Or since he is a computer-science document a project in how to assemble a cheap/easy home server. That could be an interesting project starting with hardware choices, then OS, to configuring. Not many ppl have a home-server even though they are silly-useful

Actually, why not make your own OS? That would be challenging, yet adequate. ;) Or why not make some hardware, and make some software for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back