Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How did you mount your 3w star LED?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerTango

**broken link removed**

Ive got some LEDs I want to mount on a strip of aluminum to act as a heat sink, and mounting bracket.

However, Im unsure how would be the best way, and best materials to use to mount.

I searched Google images and didnt find anything..

Thanks,
Andrew

Last edited:
Hi

I got my heat sink, a chunk of Aluminium, machined it up into a nice disc, then drilled and tapped some holes that matched the LED's cut outs.

I had to use insulating washers as the screws would have shorted out the contacts.

I have taken some pictures for you to show what I mean.

If you don't have access to taps ect, you could alternatively use small (M3) nuts and bolts to attach it. Just make sure it is as tight as possible and that you use heat sink gunk.

By the way, if you can solder the wires onto the led before attaching it to the heat sink you should as this will make soldering a million times easier.

Tom

Attachments

• LED1.jpg
    LED1.jpg
    467.3 KB · Views: 764
  • LED2.jpg
    LED2.jpg
    350.8 KB · Views: 507
Last edited:
Thank you Tom, I have some M3 screws... and a few insulated washers. Ill swing by the hardware store and see if I can find just the 1 tap, Ive got a set of SAE taps but no metric.

Thanks for your time!
Andrew

Glad to be of assistance!!!

You don't need to get the taps if your bolts are long enough. However, in the end if you tap it, it does look nice!!

Have fun building

Tom

HF has a set of metric taps for $12, should work fine for thin steel and aluminum (there carbon steel taps), I hope to pick them up this week. Also, I ordered additional insulation washers for M3s (which appear to be the best size, and is also the recommended size per manufacturer).

Id rather tap than nut/screw, Ill post back with pics when I get 'er done! :)

Thanks again bud,
Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back