Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How did you get your nic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

throbscottle

Mine was because I couldn't spell "Frobscottle" from the BFG story...

Mine is my company name.

Originally it was a fictitious name to put in sample request forms as a lot of manufacturers wouldn't supply to an end user. I then set up as my own business and kept the name on (and purchased from all the suppliers who kindly sent samples !)

I'm an English man in Australia and so we're known as Pommies. Simples really.

Mike.

From my email address suggested by my ex when replacing the rather complicated original one.

Had I to choose a new one it would be short, very very easy to spell and meaningful or just my given name.

Mine is my college ID (initials and random 3 digits). Still use the same random generated password they gave me 10 years ago for most of my accounts.

Cowboybob was the title and main (actually, only) comic book character in the first "book" I remember being able to read by myself. As you might guess, he was a cowboy, with chaps, a ten gallon hat, had the requisite 3 finger-1 thumb hands and spent a good deal of his time around the so-called "chuck wagon". He ate beans, heated over a campfire, straight out of the can with a spoon.

He was (is) my hero.

cowboybob is my nom-de-net at every site I belong to, save for Ebay (where it had already been used [really pissed me off]). Cleverly (I think :rolleyes:), I changed it to "cowbaybob"...

Paul

Last edited:
Darn it throbscottle, I've been wanting to start a thread just like this one for a long time but you beat me to it! :p;)

I got mine quite a while ago when I got my first email account. I was trying to think of a name that sounded good and was somehow related to electronics/electricity. I've always loved the German language, so I pulled out my German-English dictionary and started looking stuff up. Der Strom (in case you haven't noticed, it's S-T-R-O-M, not S-T-O-R-M) means "The Current", and '8' is my favorite number. Hence, I ended up coming out with DerStrom8.

From my email address suggested by my ex when replacing the rather complicated original one.

Had I to choose a new one it would be short, very very easy to spell and meaningful or just my given name.

And here all of these years, I thought it was related to the way Paris Hilton got her name. ;) How disappointing.

John

killivolt rather than kilovolt

Working in a TV repair shop, a New Tech ask me where the "laser" was on a JVC 5 disc CD Player.

I wasn't strapped down and working the counter, I turned around and pointed at the Laser and said right there.

He said how does it work, I said well see that glass right here and moved my finger down to it. stupid me the player was plugged in.

Suddenly a Blue Spark from the tip of my finger flew off into the lasers eye. To my astonishment the laser began searching and started moving up and down like it should?

Baffled I unplugged the unit and said to the Tech, Number 1, I think I'm in trouble. Number 2, that's why you wear a wrist strap.:p

After a minute, I plugged the player back in and again to my astonishment it began searching for CD's of course I loaded it up and began to play music that day and for a month.

My boss billed the customer and I earned the name " killivolt " cause I'm dangerously electric when ever you brush past me you could get a shock.

My real name is KV and my boss naturally associated them together.

So, to shorten it, you could just refer to me as kv, if you like.

kv:rolleyes:

Last edited:
This is off topic, but the temporary devices I made at work were dubbed "kill me quicks". Like a huge arc/tig welder wirenutteted to 8 awg wire for a temporary use where the welder had to be brought to the location or when I had wires sticking into individual outlets so I could use the individual switches on the outlet strip to keep some valves open for a process while the controller was being repaired. Just recently at home, i stuck two wires into an outlet to see how a piezo buzzer sounded. That didn't work out well. All I got was sparks for a 50 mA device which really surprised me. Using a plug and a transient suppressor, everything was fine. I also occasionally worked on some high voltage, high power devices such as 30 kW electron guns which require a 15 kV supply at 1.5 A (shunt regulator, tube based) , an X-ray set that required 100 kV @ 0.1 A and a tube 1000 W RF xmitter that had 3000 VDC supplies. The latter items could have very well killed me quickly.

I once was explaining the necessary safety precautions and the guy that gave the devices the nickname said, I just get __ to do it.

As for my handle, like things to last forever and be easily troubleshooted. It wasn't uncommon to see stuff at work that I did at work 25 years later. Unfortunately, simplicity often starts with complexity. All options go on the table first even if they are absurd. My boss didn't like that style, but an engineering publication said that's the way to do it.

Last edited:
And here all of these years, I thought it was related to the way Paris Hilton got her name. ;) How disappointing.

John

:D

+1 +1 John

It seems that by being sincere I lost the oportunity to impress someone out there.

Maybe in next life... :D :D :D

My screen name is just what my mom called me. It is that simple. Not very clever or impressive.

John

Regarding my first, rather flip, post to this thread: It is miserable form to use an acronym like NIC without first setting the context. There are gobs of things NIC can stand for. Nickname is not one that came to my mind.

North Idaho College
Network Interface Controller
The National Information Center
National Intelligence Council

Is it the end of the world no. But it is a trend that should not be encouraged.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was tired of making up names and wanted one I could use everywhere. So I picked on that I expected was not in use by anyone. I came close but some sites do not allow the screen name to start with a number and others require it to be longer. You will seem me as 3v0 on most sites but because of restrictions I am a3v0 or like on skype a3v03v0. I still use HTH or howardTheHumble on some sites for historic reasons.

People ask me if 3v0 stands for 3 volts. I did not have that in mind but it fits.

Last edited:
I am a bad, bad person - I couldn't think of what our pseudonymous names are properly called (and I'm sure it's something other than "nickname"), but, having seen it used on Usenet, I then used "nic" on purpose anyway to see if it would attract any glib comments... :p

Bad throbscottle!

Bad throbscottle!
:D

Maybe the word you are looking for is Alias ??

JimB

lol.gif

SMS speak is even worse

It mA sEm lIk I M makin a big deal out of DIS bt f we do not wrk 2 prevnt it d nd rEzlt iz DIS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back