Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How did you get into electronics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Started in ham radio at age 12. Built 2-tube 15W 40M transmitter.
Later got MSEE from Univerity of Michigan.

My dad works at a junk yard, and he brings me stuff home. About 5 years ago he started bringing me home electronic stuff to tear apart. I've loved it ever since. That is how i became interested in engineering. Next year i'm off to college for Computer Engineering, and i'm really excited. :)

Hi I'm new here.

My passion for electronics started since I was a child, I'm like sylar who always destroy toys to know how it works(up to now I'm still doing it,hehehe),

When I was in 4th grade I was taught a little about series and parallel circuits on my science class and wire my first circuit using a battery and light bulbs.

4th year high school when I learned Kirchoff and ohms law until I took up BSECE(Electronics and Communications Engineering). I got lucky to qualify for a scholarship with graduate diploma course major in power electronics,

Right now I'm finishing my thesis for my MSEE right here at the Philippines.

I became a hobbyist(building electronic kits) when I was on my 1st year in college.

For me, it all started around age 10, with me discovering how to connect a D cell to a light bulb and two wires. I played with that contraption for days... wondering, postulating and desiring to know more. Then I learned that there was an electronics parts store in my town where I then received a Lafayette 150-in-1 Electronics Fun Lab and the rest is obvious from there! I still have that wood-cased lab today.

Got a RadioShack 60 in 1 Electronics Lab kit for my 9th birthday which started me off.
Got my Advanced Ham license at 14 but I was more interested in the electronics end of things rather than talking on the radio.
At 20 talked my way into a job at a marine electronics repair shop with just my high school diploma. Worked for a few years there before going to BCIT and getting my ticket. Since then I've worked with commercial communications systems, emergency dispatch centers, repeaters, instrument repair, etc and still enjoy it.

My dad works at a junk yard, and he brings me stuff home. About 5 years ago he started bringing me home electronic stuff to tear apart. I've loved it ever since. That is how i became interested in engineering. Next year i'm off to college for Computer Engineering, and i'm really excited. :)
You've been pretty scarce lately. Where have you been?:)

I would say that my resume is less impressive than most on here.

At age 17, I dropped out of HS and joined the U.S. Navy. I was quickly sent to the fleet as a boatswain mate, or deck ape as we were called. Basically they chip paint, and apply new paint, or handle lines and such, not the most glamorous job. I soon realized that this was not for me.

I started striking for an electronics tech rating while at sea as the ET guys always worked above deck in nice AC spaces. When I passed the ET seaman test, I was offered a shot at Navy electronics tech school if I signed up for 3 more years. Heck I would still only be 23 yrs old after that time so I signed up for 3 more years + time served, and off to Navy ET school I went. I went to basic electronics and radar school. Followed that up with a 1 yr school in meteorlogical equipment.

Did my 6 years and got out of the Navy. First job I landed was an assembler job at Allied Bendix. Two weeks after I started there, I got a job offer as a factory tech at Cubic Comm Inc. I jumped on the offer and I worked there for 6 more years. While there I was moved from the factory to engineering where I soaked the brains of all the engineers (Not like night of living dead).

After 6 years there I landed an Eng tech job at a place called Qualcomm. I worked there for 10 years, while there I was promoted to engineer even though I did not hold a degree.

I loved working there but after awhile I noticed my shortcomings compared to engineers with degrees, as they always seemed much smarter to me.

After reaching the age of 45 I decided to go out and get a degree although in pre-med, as I felt I seen enough of circuits. 2 and 1/2 years later I am still working on it.

If I bomb the Med school entrance exam I will probably use my electronics background and go into bio engineering.

I have only met a few college students my age so going to school now is kinda strange for me...

I've got into electronics since I was 18 by entering the Electronics and Telecommunication course in diploma. I've just completed my BEng in E&E in June 2008.

Happy new year :)

Roff said:
You've been pretty scarce lately. Where have you been? :)

School and work have really been bogging me down lately. Mostly work... I'm also currently doing quite a few plays (sound, lights, etc), so time has been rather precious.

I am still working on electronics when i have spare time, though. Actually i've been meaning to post some pictures of my shop sometime soon. I recently purchased 4 oscilloscopes, a logic analyzer, frequency generator, frequency counter, benchtop DMM, SMD Rework Station, 0-30v 5A bench-top power supply, and 2 17" LCDs. So it is looking really nerdy. :)

Wanted to build a robot dog when I was in Grade 6-7. Been at it ever since. But only until I got a job in high school was I able to afford stuff. I have about two finished robots (ground obviously), and two much MUCH more expensive ones (all-terrain ground robots) that will likely never get done, and my first two aerial robots in progress (plane and heli).

Last edited:
In 1976 (when I was 4 !) I was at pre-school and the teacher connected up a battery to a bulb and it lit up. I was fascinated in electronics since then.

We had a little radio type shop close to where I lived - it was a 10 minute cycle ride run by a chap called Eric Treeby and it fascinated me. I used to pick up free/cheap "junk" from there. We also had a couple of Tandy stores and one of my dads colleagues used to work there at the weekend. I used to go in and bug them at the grand old age of 6 lol.

Ironically when I was older I ended up working at Tandy. Even more ironically it was with the same bloke who used to work with my dad 15 years earlier.

My Dad was in the Air Force and electronics. In 1958 he taught me how to build a crystal radio using a chunk of Galena, some wire and an oatmeal box.

I also grew up watching "Mr. Wizard" on a black and white TV. (I turned that TV into my first Oscilloscope a few years later!)

I grew up building kits, mostly tube stuff, and was a Novice Ham by the time I went into the Army in 1966. (I lied and purposely failed the morse code test, because I wanted to be Airborne Infantry, not the Signal Corps!:rolleyes:

After getting wounded in Vietnam, the Army offered me Electronics School. I got out in 1973 and got my BSEE on the GI Bill, but the Army school taught me more than college did.

Most of my career has been defense related R&D, particularly Pulsed Power.

Electronics has always been my work and my hobby.

Last edited:
I have been interested in building and inventing as long as I can recall.

My brother in law flew B52's in Vietnam. When he returned he gave me neat stuff including a go-to-hell hat, a few pounds of solder, and a real live headset with mike.

That got me interested but I have to credit the "then execlent" Popular Electronics for most everything I learned prior to collage. I spend endless hours with a solderless BB and 74LS chips, op amps etc.

3v0

Yeah.....Popular Electronics was a great magazine. I learned a lot from that and the ARRL Handbook.

I have been interested in building and inventing as long as I can recall.

My brother in law flew B52's in Vietnam. When he returned he gave me neat stuff including a go-to-hell hat, a few pounds of solder, and a real live headset with mike.

That got me interested but I have to credit the "then execlent" Popular Electronics for most everything I learned prior to collage. I spend endless hours with a solderless BB and 74LS chips, op amps etc.

3v0

Thank your Brother in Law for me......I got my butt saved a few times by those "Beefy-2's".

Did you keep the headset? They are high impedance and hard to find......something you need for a crystal radio!

I got a Galena crystal if you want it.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back