Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how charge AA battery 1.5v (DURACELL)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That kind of battery cannot be charged. It's a one way battery.

If you do so it will explode!

Boncuk

There is typically from time to time some bogus machine peddled that will "recharge" alkaline batteries. I recall back in the 90's, one of the major battery companies sold such a thing. It's all bogus.

Last edited:
All battery manufacturers sell Ni-MH rechargeable battery cells including Duracell.

Alkaline batteries should never be charged. It should never even be attempted, as they could easily explode (as Boncuk said). I suggest you check your battery and get back to us and let us know what kind it is. Is it NiMH or alkaline?

bountyhunter, I recently came across one of those "chargers" for standard AA batteries. Can't remember where, but all I can remember is thinking "what a load of cr*p!" :p

[EDIT]: Found some:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brdmnUBAS00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoA9PEP9Pzs

Last edited:
Alkaline batteries should never be charged. It should never even be attempted, as they could easily explode (as Boncuk said). I suggest you check your battery and get back to us and let us know what kind it is. Is it NiMH or alkaline?
If it is a 1.5V, it can't be a NI-CD or NI-MH rechargeable. It is almost certainly alkaline or carbon-zinc.

If it is a 1.5V, it can't be a NI-CD or NI-MH rechargeable. It is almost certainly alkaline or carbon-zinc.

they make AA rechargables that mimic the 1.5V Alkaline, but it's really only about 1.2-1.3 volts. however, they are still commonly referred to as a 1.5v AA, since that is what applications in which it is used require.

A Ni-Cad or Ni-MH cell is 1.5V when it is fresh out of a high current charger, then the voltage drops quickly to 1.25V.
An alkaline cell is 1.6V when brand new then the voltage drops quickly to 1.2V as it is used, then drops slower to 1.0V when it is almost dead.

Which AAA battery cell (alkaline or Ni-MH) has a higher voltage when its load current is 100mA? Look at my graphs:

Attachments

• AAA cells comparison.PNG
    AAA cells comparison.PNG
    22.4 KB · Views: 190
  • Ni-Cad and Ni-MH voltage.PNG
    Ni-Cad and Ni-MH voltage.PNG
    25.8 KB · Views: 208
A Ni-Cad or Ni-MH cell is 1.5V when it is fresh out of a high current charger, then the voltage drops quickly to 1.25V.
An alkaline cell is 1.6V when brand new then the voltage drops quickly to 1.2V as it is used, then drops slower to 1.0V when it is almost dead.

Which AAA battery cell (alkaline or Ni-MH) has a higher voltage when its load current is 100mA? Look at my graphs:

I don't mean to be rude, but what does that have to do with how to charge them? :D

But thanks for the visual aid AG. It's good to see how they differ in how they charge and discharge.

Last edited:
The OP did not say which type of battery he wants to charge, so I showed that they are all 1.5V.

Okay, thanks. That makes sense now. Thanks for the elaboration :D

they make AA rechargables that mimic the 1.5V Alkaline, but it's really only about 1.2-1.3 volts. however, they are still commonly referred to as a 1.5v AA, since that is what applications in which it is used require.
No, they are not 1.5V batteries. They are 1.25V batteries nominal, 1.4V maximum peak after full charge. For the "9V replacement" batteries with NI cells, the makers assume 1.4V/cell which is the fully charged (no load) voltage. The six cell type are 8.4V peak, but 7.5V nominal. The seven cell type are 9.8V peak, and 8.75V nominal.

Last edited:
Actually, the ones I have tested will only get up near 1.5V when being charged with high current. Turn off the charge and it will drop to about 1.4V almost immediately. Then it willwander down to about 1.3V but under any load, the nominal is about 1.25V.

No, they are not 1.5V batteries. They are 1.25V batteries nominal, 1.4V maximum peak after full charge. For the "9V replacement" batteries with NI cells, the makers assume 1.4V/cell which is the fully charged (no load) voltage. The six cell type are 8.4V peak, but 7.5V nominal. The seven cell type are 9.8V peak, and 8.75V nominal.

bountyhunter, you obviously didn't read my post very well. I said that they are usually rated to put out 1.2-1.3 volts (I say that very clearly and directly--you should read my post again), but most laymen just call it "1.5v" because that is what the application calls for. They are a replacement for 1.5v AA alkaline cells, though (as I stated already) they do not actually produce 1.5v.

Not sure if I could be any clearer on that ;)

bountyhunter, you obviously didn't read my post very well. I said that they are usually rated to put out 1.2-1.3 volts (I say that very clearly and directly--you should read my post again), but most laymen just call it "1.5v" because that is what the application calls for. They are a replacement for 1.5v AA alkaline cells, though (as I stated already) they do not actually produce 1.5v.

Not sure if I could be any clearer on that ;)
I read your post very concisely. I was trying to formulate a polite reply, but maybe I should be clearer: you're wrong, nobody calls Ni-CD or NI-MH cells "1.5V" because they are not. The battery makers do not call them that, anyone who does clearly does not understand what they are and is giving incorrect information. They are sometimes used in alkaline (1.5V) cell applications, but with limitations: the device has to be able to operate at the lower voltage or you have to add cells.

Last edited:
I was trying to formulate a polite reply, but maybe I should be clearer: you're wrong, nobody calls Ni-CD or NI-MH cells "1.5V" because they are not.

I'm afraid you are the one who is wrong about that. Most people who use AA batteries (both alkaline and rechargeable) don't have a clue what a "volt" is, but they just know that batteries that size are 1.5 of "whatever those things are." So how do you expect them to know when the voltage varies by two tenths of a volt? A lot of people don't read the battery labels, and even if they did they probably wouldn't know what it meant. I'm not saying it's correct to call them 1.5v, but I'm just saying that a lot of people do. They don't know better.

But we are digressing from the point of this thread. I won't continue this argument any further. Believe what you want.

Regards

That kind of battery cannot be charged. It's a one way battery.

If you do so it will explode!

Boncuk

hi Hans,
I have an old unit called a Battery Genie, it revitalises alkaline cells OK, after each session the battery endurance reduces, so after about 5 sessions the the battery is useless.

Its also possible to revitalise a dry battery by standing it on a fairly warm surface for a few hours.

Notice I did not say it was recharging.

E.

There is typically from time to time some bogus machine peddled that will "recharge" alkaline batteries. I recall back in the 90's, one of the major battery companies sold such a thing. It's all bogus.

Hi,

Ha ha, i cant agree more. There used to be a commercial on TV with some scientist looking guy with a scope and other test equipment advertising a charger that would charge standard alkaline batteries. I had to laugh every time i saw it, but i feel sorry for people who couldnt help but believe it. That was back in the 1990's i think, and havent seen it for a very long time now thankfully.

Back in the 1970's i tried every which way to charge standard cells with no luck at all, except for a few minutes energy output immediately after 'charging'. I came to the conclusion that it's just not feasible, no matter what the charge level was. Then again in the 1990's given that cells had changed since way back, still no luck. The basic chemistry is not reversible like it is with rechargeable cells, and there seems to be no way to fool it into working either. Maybe there's a trick, but no one has found it yet and i dont think they will, at least not without taking the cell apart (chuckle).

Tell everyone you know so eventually no one falls for this anymore.

Eric:
When you say it revitalizes the cell, just exactly how well does it work after the first 'recharge'?

Last edited:
Hi,
Eric:
When you say it revitalizes the cell, just exactly how well does it work after the first 'recharge'?

hi Al,
The cells are used in Remote controller units, so I cannot give any actual voltage levels.

As I said, after 5 sessions the cells will not 'perk up' at all.
Some cells will not improve after a single charge, it maybe because of the different cell manufacturers quality.
These results are purely subjective I did not take the trouble to analyse the battery performance.

If its important for you, I could buy a few 1.5v AA alkaline cells and run some monitored tests.

E.

I don't know if it was complete rubbish or not, but a long time ago I saw an article in an electronics magazine the said that you could recharge alkaline cells if you used charging current with a lot of AC in it. The charging current went negative for part of the cycle.

Wikipedia has a short article on recharging alkaline cells.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back