Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How can I test the power output voltage from my plug socket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EasternTIGERS

Hi everyone, okay ive been getting conflicting information on this one, and Im 90% sure about it I just want to confirm with you guys on how do I test a plug socket in the house (UK 230v) 3 pin wall plug with a standard Multimeter looking for AC Current with the red and black terminals?

Last edited:
Hi everyone, okay ive been getting conflicting information on this one, and Im 90% sure about it I just want to confirm with you guys on how do I test a plug socket in the house (UK 230v) 3 pin wall plug with a standard Multimeter looking for AC Current with the red and black terminals?

You Don't!

Current is measured in series with a load. Placing a current meter across your AC mains will effectively place a dead short (for all purposes) across your AC mains wall outlet. There would be a big flash and spark, you could get a serious burn and things could be worse.

Ron

If however you want to test AC voltage, and your meter is rated correctly, then yes, that's how you do it.

Sorry but this is one of the things that if you need to ask how, you shouldn't be doing it.

Experimenting with mains is very dangerous when you don't know what you're doing and as you've asked this question you obviously don't.

Sorry if I've offended you by not being helpful but it's because I don't want you to kill yourself.

You can test the voltage.
Set your meter to read ac voltage.
Set the voltage switch to a higher voltage range than 250 vac.

Do not try to read current. The poster above is quite correct.

You need to learn a lot more about electricity if this does not make sense to you.
Meaning do not stick anything in the power socket!

Sorry but this is one of the things that if you need to ask how, you shouldn't be doing it.

Experimenting with mains is very dangerous when you don't know what you're doing and as you've asked this question you obviously don't.

Sorry if I've offended you by not being helpful but it's because I don't want you to kill yourself.

Hi no you not offended me in any way, I received the same response from another person, its good advice

thanks

You can test the voltage.
Set your meter to read ac voltage.
Set the voltage switch to a higher voltage range than 250 vac.

Do not try to read current. The poster above is quite correct.

You need to learn a lot more about electricity if this does not make sense to you.
Meaning do not stick anything in the power socket!

Thank you
buddy, yeah it sounds complicated, even thoe im sure Im correct in my head but best to just leave it at that

Better off giving a stern warning and the right information rather than just a 'don't do it, you'll die'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back