Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How can I tell if a motor is for continuous use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giggitti

I have a General Electric motor that I think might have come from a washing machine. It is Model # 3J222Gx5, Type KH, FR 34, CY 60, Thermal Protected, 1725 RPM, 1 phase, 1/4 HP. That is all that is on the plate. It has what appears to be two oil ports, one on each end of the body, each has a little spring loaded cover about 3 mm across. I want to use this motor for continuous use but it gets quite hot to the touch. I'd like to know if I need to oil this thing, if so how often, and how can I tell if it's good for continuous use? The load it is under is quite minimal so I am surprised it gets so hot. Thanks in advance.

It will generally tell you on the nameplate. There may be a duty cycle figure which will obviouly mean that the motor isn't continuous duty (100%). There may be an "on-off" set of figures on some devices that indicate that there's a rest period involved.

If you can touch it without getting burned its not too hot. ;)

Typically washing machine motors are continuous duty rated being they are in confined spaces with minimal ventilation plus do a lot of start and stop/reverse operations while in use and its rather normal to have someone run multiple loads of laundry back to back with little to no stop times in between.

If it gets too hot thats why the thermal overload protection system is built into it.

I've never seen a washing machine motor run in reverse. The agitator reversing is usually done by the "transmission". Enlighten me.

Motors should have a SF or service factor rating. A value of 1 is continuous.

In most washing machines the pump is bidirectional so when the motor runs forward it circulates in the machine and when it reverses it sends it out the drain to pump out the water. ;)

My wash machine can be set for two wash cycles and one rinse so it does multiple stops and three reverse cycles every load.

Pull a panel off your wash machine and turn the control knob through its functions. Odds are you will see the motor reverse direction a few times.

When you removed the motor from it's original machine did you remove something like a plastic pulley with "fan" like features on it?

If the motor is running very hot and just has a bar shaft with no fan features anywhere it's possible it might be missing a irflow it needs for continuous operation.

Thanks for all the advice. To answer some of the questions:

- It gets quite hot but not hot enough to burn you.
- I was given it so Im not positive it came from a washing machine, and there is no fan on the shaft.
- Ill take a look for SF on the faceplate but I wrote everything I could find and put it in my original posting.

I've currently got it on a timer to run two hours and shut off for one and it seems ok (been running two weeks). I think Ill try running it for a week straight since it does say its thermal protected.

Thanks again

If you can run it for two hours non stop and still touch it or not have the thermal protection trip its most likely a continuous duty rated unit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back