Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How can I make a diode heat sensor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sv_clintrace999

Hi everyone!

de DV9HRV of the Philippines. I just want to ask if there is any way to make a fan heat sensor other than a thermostat? perhaps a diode sensor, I mean i want my fan to turn on if it detects heat for about 35c-40c.

Thanks

If you provide a constant current through the diode, the voltage across it is proportional (negative slope) to the temperature. If you want to derive this yourself, you can use the Schockley equation https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode

Alternately, instead of the constant current source, you can use a resistor connected to a power supply. This will cause the voltage / temperature relationship to be nonlinear, but this is fine for your application.

You'll need to calibrate your voltage threshold of the diode at the threshold temperature

To use a diode as the sensor means you will need to amplify small voltage changes (~ few mV) to a useful level. Quite doable (my previous house had diode sensors for a home-brew central-heating controller), but you might find a cheap typical NTC thermistor easier to work with as its resistance changes significantly with temperature.

I think if I lived in a country with temperatures of 35-40°C my fan would be permanently on and not need a sensor :D.

**broken link removed**

Reference 2

found using Google with search terms: diode used as temperature sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back