Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How can i disable a USB hub in a keyboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

St1x

Hi Guys,

Was wondering if you could help, I need to disable a USB hub in a Dell USB keyboard (sk-8125), i've had it open and had a good look at the PCB and was hoping there is a way to deactivate the hub but keep the keyboard working as normal. I've got a few keyboards i can try this out on.

Any ideas would be much appreaciated.

Cheers,
Matt.

But the usb hub would still show up on the actual machine.

Basically i just need to disable the hub so the machine doesn't pick it up.

Sorry akg but it has to be disabled via the hardware, not the through the PC unfortunately...

There's maybe 2-3 "good" reasons why you'd want to disable the hub - for everything else, it's a feature. Also, if you could post a picture of the keyboard guts, the answer could be pretty obvious.

James

use one of the USB to PS2 converter deals (the little green thing, came with the keyboard) ... presto, no USB... the onboard hub will have no connection to the host using the legacy ps2 serial port.

other than that, there's probably no way to disable the hub, the keyboard logic and hub chip are probably one in the same.

There isn't much you can do hardware wise, without killing the actual keyboard. As justDIY said, the logic is one in the same. Why does it need to be done through hardware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back