Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How can I convert a square wave to sine wave??

Status
Not open for further replies.

kken6248

I have 12V@60Hz input square wave and wanted to convert into a sine wave. Can anybody tell me how can I do that? What kind of filter I should use ( Lowpass, bandpass filter)??
Thank you.

Well, your fundamental is at 60Hz, then you have harmonics at multiples of 60Hz. When added, you get a square wave. Therefore, you need a low pass filter to get just the fundamental component. Depending on how much distortion you can tolerate in the output wave, you might need a 2nd or higher order filter since 120 and 60 (for example) are close together.

it would be alot easier to do with a triangle wave?

If you integrate a square wave you will get a triangle wave. Then filter it, but the harmonics are not just the Odd as in a square, they are the odd^2 thus bigger gaps between harmonic => easier to filter.

Remember to AC couple the output

kken6248 said:
I have 12V@60Hz input square wave and wanted to convert into a sine wave. Can anybody tell me how can I do that? What kind of filter I should use ( Lowpass, bandpass filter)??
Thank you.

This sounds to me rather like a power conversion (using an inverter), rather than a simple signal - would that be so?.

That depends on how you are using it. If you just want a low power signal that you can feed to an amplifier or something, then you can search the internet for op-amp low pass filter or RC low pass filter. Again, your application is important. If this is a higher power part of the system, then you will need a similar approach, but the choice of components will be more limited.

I built a passive lowpass filter a resistor series with a capacitor, but it give me like a triangle wave, so then I built a bandpass filter using a resistor in series with a capacitor parallal with a inductor, but still give me a triangle wave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back