Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How can I connect wires so they are waterproof?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I solder them and use shrink tubing?
That would be a start, but the heatshrink on its own would not seal out the water.
It is possible to get heatshrink sleeving with an adhesive liner. That usually makes a good seal.

What if I included some rubber cement?
A good idea, I would be inclined to use epoxy resin.

I think what I would do is:

Twist the wires together and solder.
Cover with one layer of heat shrink.
Cover the ends of the heat shrink with epoxy, and then before the epoxy sets...
Cover the whole joint with another layer heatshrink.

JimB

Scotch 130C is that type of tape, another idea is put silicone on your joint and put shrink tube over the 'wet' silicone and heat and shrink

I don't know where you are. Here I go to the lumber yard, hardware store, home repair store, etc and ask about wire in a well or wet location. (underground splice)
I have shrink tubing that has some kind of jell inside. When the tubing shrinks the jell fills the ends.

I would not use the wire nuts that come with sprinkler systems. I have seen large wet location wire nuts but I don't like them for pumps.
Where you get pumps will have part to make wet wire splices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back