Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How can I check a transistor is working

Status
Not open for further replies.

mettam

I need to check if my Mosfet Transistors are working.
I have read that checking FET (field effect Transistors) with a multimeter can permanently damage the transistor.
Has anyone been able to check Mosfet Transistors using a multimeter ?
I am a newbie so if someone could walk me through the process I would apreciate it.

This is the kind of MultiMeter I have, its called a DVM810 and it does have transistor-checking feature. (link to my multi meter bellow)
**broken link removed**

(link to a picture of a Mosfet Transistor)
**broken link removed**

awaiting your reply's thank you.

J.

The max voltage rating for most Mosfets is 20V from gate to source. When on "diode test" your meter supplies only 3V or less. On "ohms" it supplies about 0.2V.
Static electricity might danage a Mosfet when you connect your meter.

Your meter doesn't supply enough gate voltage to a Mosfet to turn it on for a test. You will need to make a separate Mosfet tester with a 9V battery or something.

Last edited:
You can do it with the simple "diode check" function built into most digital meters that are powered by 9V batteries:

Short the gate to the source.
Your diode check from drain to source will show an open in one direction and a "diode" in the other.
Connect the meters minus lead to the source.
Unshort the gate and connect the meters positive lead to the gate. It should read open.
Then without touching the gate with anything else, move the meters positive lead to the drain. You shound see a short which will dissappear if you short the gate to the source again.
This may not work with all meters or MOSFETs but it is a quick and easy "go/no-go test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back