Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How and Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ednamosa

(NOTE: It is not an assignment. I just want to increase my knowledge. :D )

Hi. I have few questions that i want to know which are,

1. In capacitor where does the charge stores and How?.

2. What is the purpose of dielectric in capacitor?.

3. When we connect an analog Ohm-meter to a capacitor at first it needle point to zero resistance but gradually shows increment in it, why?.

4. What is the difference between electrolytic(Polar) or non-electrolytic(nonPolar)?.

5. What is Permeability and Permitivity?. What is the difference between them?. Where it is applied?. Finally, How to calculate them?.

6. When I design a PCB by a Permanent marker and then dip it for one to two hours in FeCl3 the copper dissolve but the edges and from center of routes dissolve, why?. I also need guidance for designing a proper and compact PCB with very fine routing like in motherboards. Note that I design PCB by Hand not by any software.

7. What is a load line?. What is an Ac Load line and Dc load line?. How to draw it?.

8. What is Quiescent point?. What is the purpose of plotting it.? How to plot it on load line?. How to use it for a class A amplifiers?.

9. What are the Properties of CMOS and TTL based IC's.?

Sounds like homework...

If you drop an ohm-meter on a cap, the cap will use the DC voltage off the meter probes to charge. The needle or digits will move..

Hi
The charged is stored on the plates....
The dielectric is sorta like an insulator. Different materials have different dielectric constants....
Mramos described why the reading changes...
Some electrolytic capacitors are made by "growing" the dielectric (a layer of oxide) on the anode plate. This results in current passing one direction much better than the opposite direction. Those are called polar caps....
Permittivity of Free Space, Eo = 8.8542x10^-12, is a constant used in physics and in calculating dielectric fields. Permeabilty, Uo = 1.2566x10^-6, Is also a constant used in electromagnetic field calculations....
Youre probably letting the circuit board sit too long! It shouldnt take more than 10 minutes - WITH AGITATION!....
There are some really good books available for beginners that cover all these topics, and whole books on each of your questions for the more seasoned masochist.

You can find answers in these references:

1) Introduction to Electric Circuits; Herbert Jackson; Prentice Hall, 1970, page 149
2) same as 1
3) same book, page 171
4) same book page 217
5) same book, page 156
6) no recomendations
7) Electronic Circuits; Charles Holt; John Wiley and Sons;1978, page 454
8): Holt; page 464
9) Holt; page 242 for CMOS, page 182 for TTL

What is the purpose of this forum?

Hi, First i will say that what is the purpose of this forum. If I was able to buy all the books you recommend then why should I ask you people. I am having trouble in understanding some concepts. Because in book only the thing is defined and explained but if a question arise in a mind "how and why" then the book don't tells about that. In last thank to all of you for nothing. :roll:

I expect the book can be accuired from the library. Anyhow, i'll answer the only one I think I know

In logic gates: TTL is transistor-transistor logic. They are current controlled and can only use a fairly small range of supply voltages. CMOS is complementary metal oxide semiconductor. These are voltage controlled, as such have very low input current (and usually small output current capability too). They are static sensitive and are usually slower switching than TTL.

Re: What is the purpose of this forum?

Ednamosa said:
Hi, First i will say that what is the purpose of this forum?
If you had a very complicated circuit then we would be glad to discuss how to fix it or to improve it with you and all of us would discuss it together.
But the very, very, very basics???

Re: What is the purpose of this forum?

Ednamosa said:
Hi, First i will say that what is the purpose of this forum. If I was able to buy all the books you recommend then why should I ask you people. I am having trouble in understanding some concepts. Because in book only the thing is defined and explained but if a question arise in a mind "how and why" then the book don't tells about that. In last thank to all of you for nothing. :roll:

The purpose of these forums is to help people with electronics, NOT to give an elementary education - once you've read the books feel free to ask specific questions about single items you don't understand. If you can't understand ANYTHING in the book you need to go back further, simple maths and physics for a start!.

But DO NOT ask a great series of rudimentary questions as you have here, we've been through this before on these forums, and we let it go on far too long last time!. That poster is now deleted every time he attempts a post, and I will do the same if anyone else starts the same!.

Moderator.

And your homework should really be done by you, not the group.

Despite your insistence that it's not homework, we know that it is. No person who's "just curious" would ask those questions.

I absolutely would have busted a gut if one of the questions included something like: "...See Fig 7."

Sorry to make fun, I know school can be tough. But when you get older you realize that learning isn't about writing the correct answers.

Mike

One last Request

Hi, I request you to delete the post but before I have to say something, In the forum the text written below General chat forum is "This forum is for general chat about electronics, eg: Dont know what a part does? Dont know how to read a circuit? Want to get an opinion?". Replace this text by " This forum is for Intermediate chat not basic!.. So beware before asking that the question is not general If it is general then ready to be criticised ". 8) 8) 8)

We are chatting and are giving an opinion. :lol:
But we ain't teachers of tons of basic stuff. :cry:

I don't mind lecturing on a basic principle now and then as I often get corrected on a point here and there and hence learn even more. But 9 questions is just too much for one post. When I see a broadside like that being fired by so many big guns all at once, I hold my textbooks over my head to try and protect myself.

And it's not like we can even give a simple answer here. In fact "where does a cap store charge?" has no simple answer. In one sense, it's the surface of the plates, or you could say electrons, you could say electric field, you could say the electric field across an insulator. While all of these are sort-of correct, really none of them are very accurate. They don't convey a useful understanding of what goes on inside a capacitor. You've got to start with a basic understanding of physics and work from there to explain it.

Re: One last Request

Ednamosa said:
Hi, I request you to delete the post but before I have to say something, In the forum the text written below General chat forum is "This forum is for general chat about electronics, eg: Dont know what a part does? Dont know how to read a circuit? Want to get an opinion?". Replace this text by " This forum is for Intermediate chat not basic!.. So beware before asking that the question is not general If it is general then ready to be criticised ". 8) 8) 8)

Actually, the people on here are very helpful, that's why this forum is so active. What nobody likes to do - in this forum or any other - is to do someone's homework for them.

Had you posted something like, "I'm playing around with this component and I notice X, Y, and Z, but I don't quite understand...", then you would have received many helpful responses. But instead you copied questions out of a book.

Kinda funny, don't you think, that someone who doesn't know what a load line is then asks how to plot a "Quiescent point" on it?

Number 6 might be a legitimate question you have, but that should be separated out and it got ignored because questions 5, 7, 8, and 9 are obviously from a book.

Mike

Ednamosa,
Get a book or two on electronics and read them. Then get 3 or 4 books on self-help and read them. Then get 8 or 9 books on attitude, graciousness, manners, ethics, morality, and wit. Then throw them all away because they wont help you anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back