Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

House Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you guys tell me how this is wired.?
If I disconnect the cold side of the switch switch, the overhead lights and the wall sconce will not work. That leaves 2 wires twisted together, and they operate a:
1. closet light
2. water closet light
3. GFI outlet
If I un-twist those 2 wires, those 3 items will not function.

But those 3 wires are all connected to the cold side of the switch...??
Hope I am making this clear.
What is going on exactly.?
Thank You

Last edited:
I don't click on image links from outside sources in most cases. Could you upload the images to your post instead of linking to them?

Thanks,
Matt

There's no "cold" side of the switch. The Switch interrupts the "hot" wire. This hot wire comes from the right side to the box and connects to the switch. If the switch is off, it doesn't go any further. If the switch is on, the hot wire "continues" to the yellow caps, and then is split between two wires which you can see in the box on the left. Whatever is connected to these wires is controlled by the switch. Anything that is not controlled to the switch is not connected to these two wires.

It is also possible that the power comes to the switch from the left. In which case one of the wires on the left brings power and the other continues to some other place, such as outlet. If that's the case, then the wire on the right goes to loads controlled by the switch.

There's no "cold" side of the switch. The Switch interrupts the "hot" wire. This hot wire comes from the right side to the box and connects to the switch. If the switch is off, it doesn't go any further. If the switch is on, the hot wire "continues" to the yellow caps, and then is split between two wires which you can see in the box on the left. Whatever is connected to these wires is controlled by the switch. Anything that is not controlled to the switch is not connected to these two wires.
There is no cold side of the switch...OK...so what do we call the OFF side of the switch that is not always Hot.?
Anyway...what I am saying is, if I disconnect the switch from those 2 wires, they are still operating the:
1. Closet light switch
2. Water closet light switch
3. GFI out let at the sink
So...how is that possible, and how does it work that when I connect the Off side of the switch to those 2 wires, then I can operate the sconce and the overhead tube lights.?
Thanks

You mean the Switch Leg?

I think you are in serious need of a qualified electrician, because somebody botched that install. Sounds like a DIY gone wrong.

You mean the Switch Leg?

I think you are in serious need of a qualified electrician, because somebody botched that install. Sounds like a DIY gone wrong.
This is the original house roping from 25 years ago.
Yes... the "switched leg" has one wire...the "pig tail" I guess...it is about 6 inches. Then, the other 2 wires are connected to that. If I disconnect that pig tail, those 2 wires seem to be the mains supply for those 3 items listed above.
The sconce and tube lights will not work when that pig tail is disconnected. But the switch has no effect on those other 3 items, even though they are bundled with it. How can this be.?
I was wanting to add a second switch so I could operate the sconce and tube lights separately.
So I pulled the switch.
When I saw the pig tail, with those other 2 wires, I thought great...it is all at the switch, I can just take one of those to the new switch, and I will be able to switch just the sconce, just the tubes, or both. But when I pulled one of the wires, and left the other connected to the pig tail, I was surprised to see that both the sconce AND the tube lights still worked, but those 3 items were dead.
What is going on.?
Thank You

clel miller , did you see my post? Would you be willing to upload the images to your post instead of just linking to them? Makes for much easier reading.

Matt

If I am understanding this correctly.... The three black wires bundled together are where you are getting your power from your service panel. One of the black wires (in the bundle of three) is your line side, the other two are your load sides (one going to bathroom and the other feeding 120V to the switch.

The single black wire coming off the switch and going directly into your 14/2 or 12/2 Romex cable is feeding your wall sconce and ceiling fan.

If I am understanding this correctly.... The three black wires bundled together are where you are getting your power from your service panel. One of the black wires (in the bundle of three) is your line side, the other two are your load sides (one going to bathroom and the other feeding 120V to the switch.

The single black wire coming off the switch and going directly into your 14/2 or 12/2 Romex cable is feeding your wall sconce and ceiling fan.
Yeah...you are correct.
I tried to direct load the pictures for DerStrom8, but I lost them.
Anyway....I am an idiot, and a victim of horse play.
I am at a friends 2 story house.
These guys have been playing a "practical joke" on me while I am going up and down the stairs to turn the panel on and off.
I should have known better than to trust these guys. That is what I get for trying to help.....My Apologies.
I should have known things could not possibly work this way.
Sorry to waste all your time.
I have a couple of big ugly guys I have to go attend to now.....
Thank You

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back