Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

house electrical service question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrz126

My dad and I are looking into upgrading our electrical service, we currently have a 100 amp service, and we're going up to 200 amps.
Does this mean 200 amps per leg (400A total)?

We're kinda confused though, the main breaker on the new panel has 4 breakers with a common trip. each breaker has a 200 amps printed on it, so does this mean it's capable of 400 amps per leg?

200 amp service implies 100 amps per 120-volt leg or 200 amps total. A 240 volt load would draw an equal amount from both legs, e.g., 30 amps, leaving 70 amps in each leg for other loads.

Just because a panel may be rated for 1000 amps doesn't mean that you have 1000 amp service provided by the utility. You're ultimately limited by the size of the transformer they supply and you have to derate accordingly if that transformer is being shared by other households.

That is a bizarre main breaker. Main service interrupts are usually a single 240-volt breaker or a ganged dual 120-volt pair. By "common trip", do you mean that all four are mechanically linked so that if one trips, they all trip?

Dean

The main breaker has a bar going across all 4 switches and it says "common int. trip." There is also a rating of 22kAIc (Amperage Interuption Current).
The box for the panel said 200A main breaker, 40 circuits max.

Could the 200A mean 200A for the entire combination of breakers? If thats the case though, why would the 200A be printed on each breaker?

My dad talked to the power company, they said we already have a 200A service coming up to the meter and a 200A meter itself. so we sould be good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back