Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hot Dog VS 230VAC :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is little new under the sun. I guess that is one nice thing about being young. Everything is new.

In the pre microwave days they used to sell a small unit that would hold 4 hot dogs. It has been a while but I think you impaled the dogs on a pair on spikes which were hooked directly to the 120VAC line.

It cooked them but they did taste a bit acidic.

**broken link removed**

I had one of those--- it was called Hot Dogger. Initially I used to sand down a couple of 16p nails and solder an AC line cord to each one... insert them into the hot dog and plug it in! Yes the dogs don't taste all that great when cooked this way. The Hot Dogger didn't fair much better plus I had a mess to clean up from dogs ripping open from the boiling moisture within.

If you want to try a fun experiment, connect a large dill pickle to a VARIAC (variable Xformer) and start to crank up the voltage. The salt brine in it will cause it to glow a nice orange. On 120vAC it gives a nice glow without any smoke or steam.

Last edited:
HiTech said:
I had one of those--- it was called Hot Dogger. Initially I used to sand down a couple of 16p nails and solder an AC line cord to each one... insert them into the hot dog and plug it in! Yes the dogs don't taste all that great when cooked this way. The Hot Dogger didn't fair much better plus I had a mess to clean up from dogs ripping open from the boiling moisture within.

If you want to try a fun experiment, connect a large dill pickle to a VARIAC (variable Xformer) and start to crank up the voltage. The salt brine in it will cause it to glow a nice orange. On 120vAC it gives a nice glow without any smoke or steam.

ever tried putting sour grapes in a micro? should spark.

quixotron said:
ever tried putting sour grapes in a micro? should spark.

It is commonly referred to as "Grape Plasma". A simple google search helps when naming things. It builds up an electrical charge between the 2 halves of the grape and arcs very much like an Jacobs ladder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back