Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hot Air Pencil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noggin

Ive been finding myself needing a hot air pencil a few times here recently but I've only had access to a a full size hot air gun. Can anyone suggest a cost effective hot air pencil preferably with changeable tips for different IC packages?

I broke down and splurged for a good one. Howard Elecectronics (HEII) sells their demo units used at trade shows for a discount. They were quite helpful regarding solder paste and flux. Sparkfun and MPJA sell units at about half the price of the discounted one I purchased, but a review I read about the less expensive units said they barely make enough heat to work. The unit I have has heat to spare and comes up to temperature quite fast.

A note to anyone who wants to DIY one. Think about buying a replacement heating unit intended for a profession unit. They are $30 or $40 but it would be a very good start.

Last edited:
I bought a couple of used "rework stations", one made by Pace and the other by OK Industries. These are the kind of station that include 5 or 6 different tools into one "system". The ones I got were missing bits and not entirely sound, but the hot air pencils work just fine.

After looking on Ebay, perhaps something like a Hakko 852 (or one of its competitors) would be good. There are some for sale on ebay for $100 to $200. I've used Hakko products before and they are good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back