Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

horn loaded subwoofer???

Status
Not open for further replies.
comments.... after making a horn for a 12inch pioneer sub, I wanted to make a pair of horns for cheap 8inch Venom subwoofers, and see how they went...

in THEORY, they are about 103dB efficient from 40Hz - 200Hz or whatever, but in a car, no, they won't be 15dBs louder than a ported box... however, in the house, they are very loud...

I designed a 12inch horn for a guy in America, in a van, off about 500ish watts, he did 140.8dBs on a new termlab SPL meter... :)

the aim for me, is to reach 150dBs with two 10inch subs, in very musical boxes (rather than boxes that just play one note loud)

if you have any questions, just ask...

SkinnyBoy said:
the aim for me, is to reach 150dBs with two 10inch subs, in very musical boxes (rather than boxes that just play one note loud)

Good luck m8 !

DB-dragger ? or just having fun ?

Exo said:
SkinnyBoy said:

Good luck m8 !

dB drag... but I need money....

two 10's, in a "Street A" class vehicle... current world record is about 155dBs, thats a system that plans one note loud.... I'm aiming for 150dBs with a system that plays MUSIC!!! :)

SkinnyBoy said:
two 10's, in a "Street A" class vehicle... current world record is about 155dBs, thats a system that plans one note loud.... I'm aiming for 150dBs with a system that plays MUSIC!!! :)

Isn't the reason for single note bass in a car simply because a car isn't large enough to reproduce bass music?.

Nigel Goodwin said:
SkinnyBoy said:

Isn't the reason for single note bass in a car simply because a car isn't large enough to reproduce bass music?.

ahh... no... =\ a single frequency is used in SPL cars, because they tune their boxes to peak at just one frequency... so, they may be 10dBs louder at say 60Hz, than 55Hz... =\ not very musical...

Disaster Area

SkinnyBoy said:
...150dB...a system that plays MUSIC!!! :)
It'll be like a Disaster Area concert on Kakrafoon, I'm glad your'e on the other side of the world !!
The wood used in the cabinet - I assume it is a pretty high density ?
there are a lot of divider walls of similar dimensions; will they all resonate at the same (or similar) frequencies ? (kind- of heading towards a single loud note ?
I wonder if the box would be any better fully lined with that sticky-backed lead sheet you can get to line car body panels and reduce external noise ?
(here it could help kill resonances).

Re: Disaster Area

mechie said:
I wonder if the box would be any better fully lined with that sticky-backed lead sheet you can get to line car body panels and reduce external noise ?
(here it could help kill resonances).

Folded horns shouldn't be lined with sound deadening material!. You could do it on the reverse sides of the horn, not in the sound path, but you may as well just use bracing there.

Assuming it's 3/4 inch MDF or plywood (plywood is prefered), with plenty of glue and screws, it should be fine - folded horns are a tried and tested technology - although these seem rather small for any decent low bass?.

I'm also still not convinced about decent bass in a car?, I would have thought if it could be done it would have been by now?. It's always been said that there's just not enough room to do it?.

Re: Disaster Area

Nigel Goodwin said:
Folded horns shouldn't be lined with sound deadening material!.
I just figured that the extra mass added to the walls would kill resonances, not absorb sound - the 'horn' path would still be totally unobstructed :?:

SkinnyBoy said:
Exo said:
SkinnyBoy said:

Good luck m8 !

dB drag... but I need money....

I hope it works out for you :)
I used to DB-drag too, but i switched to SQC now :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back