Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

hooking up the A3959SB

Status
Not open for further replies.

raitl

So the chip is this one: **broken link removed**
and I've included my circuit.

I'm going to use these chips to run 2 18V cordless drill motors on my bot with PIC. The motors draw about 1.4-1.5Amps continous, spikes as high as 3.4Amps. So these chips would be perfect. I do not want to use the on-board PWM, but stick with my 16F867A to handle the speeds. So as much as I can understand, I do not need to use the osc pin (can pull it to ground) but what do I do with BLANK, PFD1, PFD2 pins?

I've tested the circuit on breadboard, but all I got was some hissing noise from the motor. What am I doing wrong?

Oh, I used 2.2 Ohm resistor for Rs and Vref was 18V. Tried with Vref 5V aswell, no difference.

**broken link removed**

raitl said:
I'm going to use these chips to run 2 18V cordless drill motors on my bot with PIC. The motors draw about 1.4-1.5Amps continous, spikes as high as 3.4Amps.

No idea on those chips, never heard of them - but I suspect you are EXTREMELY low in your ideas of what current the motors might take!. I would expect stall and heavy load currents in the tens of amps?, you need to either limit the current, or make sure your controllers will handles high currents.

I don't think the current is not going to get that high even when braking. Because I'm going to stick with the original reduction which has such a high ratio, that I can't turn the wheel even when not braking the motor. So it would be logical to assume, that I won't even have need for the braking action. Right?

My other choices are:

MC33886DH

5A max

and

SN754410NE

1A max

So does anyone have any experiance with these IC's?

raitl said:
I don't think the current is not going to get that high even when braking?

I strongly suggest you try measuring it! - stall currents from DC motors are HUGE! - even if it's too powerful to stall, it will take a high current under high loading!,

5.5Amps when I grabbed the motor and held it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back